In the wake of George Floyd's murder, there were many organizations that made statements of support for the Black Lives Matter movement.
在乔治·弗洛伊德被谋杀后,有许多组织发表声明支持“黑人的命也是命”的运动。
When the American Marketing Association investigated things shortly after, they found that less than one in 10 had made any concrete changes.
不久之后,美国营销协会的调查发现,只有不到十分之一的组织做出了具体改变。
Then you get to something we call defensive engagement, or, "Let's just do what the lawyers tell us."
然后就是我们所说的“防御性参与”,或者说,“我们就按照律师说的做。”
Now, this is where leaders do engage on a topic, but only because they really have to.
这时领导人确实会开始参与讨论,但这只是因为他们必须这样做。
Again, working with a senior team recently in the farmer industry, the issue of diversity and inclusion came up on the agenda.
我最近与一个农业行业的高层团队合作时,将多样性和包容性问题提上了议事日程。
It was dealt with in about five minutes.
这个话题大约五分钟就结束了。
And essentially they said, "Let's send everybody on a course and count the number of women."
他们基本上说的就是,“我们让所有人都参与课程,然后看看有多少名女性参与。”
That was kind of as far as it got.
这是他们目前能做的事。
They did the bare minimum.
他们做的是最低限度的工作。
And then there's a step change to what we call dialogic engagement or, "Let's sit down, listen and learn."
然后是一个阶段性变化,我称之为“对话参与”,或者说,“让我们坐下来,倾听并学习。”
And the reason why it's a step change is because leaders here know that they don't know the answer, and they really want to find out what they don't know.
我们把它看作阶段性变化的原因是,领导人清楚自己不知道问题的答案,并且确实试图探索未知。
OK?
可以理解吗?
So we talked to an entrepreneur who had taken over ex-UK car manufacturing plant.
我们与一位接管了前英国汽车制造厂的企业家进行了交谈。
And the workers there were very upset about working conditions.
那里的工人对工作条件感到非常不满。
And so this entrepreneur decided in, General McChrystal's terms, to share information until it was almost illegal.
因此,这位企业家决定,使用麦克里斯特尔将军的策略,分享信息,尽最大可能做到信息共享。
In other words, he'd gotten the employees and opened up the books, shared information and shared decision making with them about what they needed to do.
换句话说,他了解员工,与他们开诚布公地分享信息,就员工应当做的事与员工共同进行决策。
And that was a vastly different leadership style from the ones that they've been used to.
这是一种全新的领导方式。
Now right at the end, we've got stimulating activism.
最后是推动行动主义。
This is when leaders say, "Let's be the activist."
也就是领导人说,“让我们成为活动家。”
This is the Ben and Jerry's and the Patagonias of the world.
本杰理冰激淋和冲锋衣品牌巴塔哥尼亚就是这样做的。
And they recruit activists.
他们招募行动主义者。
They promote activists.
提拔行动主义者。
They keep hold of activists in their organizations.
挽留行动主义者。
Now, there's many things that I could take out from this taxonomy.
以上就是我想跟大家分享的研究成果。
Let me draw just two key learnings out here.
我想在这里提出两个关键的建议。
First of all, you need to know where your employees think your response has been so far, not where you think it's been.
首先,你需要知道到目前为止,你的员工认为你的回应做到了什么程度,而不是你自己认为自己做了多大努力。
Because guess what?
为什么?
Let's go back to that optimism bubble.
让我们再说回到乐观主义泡沫。
The more senior you are, the more likely you are to think that you're in dialogue.
你的职位越高,你就越有可能高估你的对话参与度。
But if I ask a more junior employee, they're more likely to say, "No, that's a facade."
但如果我问一位资历较浅的员工,他们更有可能会说:“不,这只是表面功夫。”
Or even actually, "I'm scared to speak up."
甚至会说,“我不敢说。”
And the second key point is dialogue is messy.
第二个关键点是,对话是复杂的。
It's jam-packed full of vulnerability, ambiguity, disagreement.
它充满了脆弱性、含糊且具有分歧。
That's why leaders try and avoid it so much.
这就是领导人为什么会对此闭口不谈。
But you can't avoid it any longer, that's not a sustainable strategy.
但你不能再逃避了,这不是长远之计。
So we need to get far better at experimenting, at expecting fallout, about learning from mistakes.
因此,我们需要在实践、结果预测和错误复盘方面多加努力。
So in summary, we are entering an age of employee activism.
总而言之,我们正在进入员工行动主义的时代。
And if we can't or won't hear voices of difference in our organization, we need to consider that like the canary in the coal mine.
如果我们不能或不愿在组织中听到不同的声音,就会像“煤矿中的金丝雀”一样。
In other words, a signal of danger.
换句话说,这是一个危险的信号。
Because if we can't talk about stuff that matters to us, but that we differ on, that spells disaster in our organizations.
因为如果我们不能谈论对我们重要但又存在分歧的事情,我们组织就会面临灾难。
For things like ethical conduct, innovation, inclusion, talent retention, performance.
对道德操守、创新、包容性、人才保留、员工表现等都存在影响。
So maybe in the face of some of these enormous social and environmental issues, maybe we're finally starting to reassess what good leadership looks like.
也许正是因为面对这些巨大的社会和环境问题,我们终于开始重新思考什么是优秀的领导才能。
Maybe we're starting to see leadership as activism.
我们才开始将领导力和行动主义划上等号。
And in doing that, maybe we'll enable voices of difference to make a difference in the workplace by allowing them to speak truth to power.
在这个的过程中,我们可能会听到不同的声音,这些声音会向权力说出真相,来改变职场。
Thank you.
谢谢。