I was actually an accountant, working for a large holiday company.
我曾经是一个会计师,在一家大型的度假公司工作。
One day, I was reading a magazine about modern life and stress and I just said to my friends, hey, I could do better than this!
一天,我在读一本关于现代生活和压力的杂志,我就对自己的朋友说,嘿,我能做的比这本杂志更好!
Woman:So what did you do then?
然后你做了什么呢?
Man: Well, I spent eight months knocking on the doors of just about every big London-based publishing company
我用了八个月的时间敲了几乎每家总部在伦敦的出版公司的大门,
hoping to find one who would discuss the project.
希望能发现可以讨论这个项目的人。
Finally, a friend, the managing director of a big insurance company,
最终,一个朋友,一家大型保险公司的总经理
suggested I see Tom Smith, who's the editor of the magazine Nights Out.
建议我去见汤姆·史密斯,他是《夜出》杂志的编辑。
He liked my ideas for the new magazine, said they were exciting,
他喜欢我的关于新杂志的想法,并表示他们很激动,
and we started to meet regularly to develop and plan its publication.
于是我们定期见面来开发和计划杂志的出版。
Woman: He wasn't worried about the competition?
他没有担心竞争问题?