Well, I did what you told me, Mr. Van Dusen.
嗯,范杜森先生,按照你说的剪了,
I hope it's all right. I'm no barber, though.
但愿还凑合,虽然我不是做理发师的料。
You want to look at it in the mirror?
你想照 镜子看看吗?
(He holds out a small mirror.)
(他拿起了一面小镜子。)
No thanks. I remember the last one.
谢谢,不用了,我还记得上次你给我理的头发的样子。
I guess I'll never be a barber.
我估摸我永远当不了理发师。
Maybe not. On the other hand, you may turn out to be the one man hidden away who will bring merriment to the tired old human heart.
也许当不了,不过没准将来你能出其不意地给疲惫的老人带来欢乐呢。
Who? Me?
谁?我吗?
Why not?
怎么就不能呢?
Merriment to the tired old human heart? How do you do that?
给疲惫的老人带来欢乐?怎么做呢?
Compose a symphony, paint a picture, write a book, invent a philosophy.
创作一部交响乐,画张画,写本书,或是发明一种哲学。
Not me! Did you ever do stuff like that?
这我可干不了。你做过这类事吗?
I did.
做过。
What did you do?
你做的是什么?
Invented a philosophy.
我发明了一种哲学。
What's that?
什么是哲学?
A way to live.
一种生活方式。
What way did you invent?
你发明的是什么方式?
The take-it-easy way.
轻松生活的哲学。
That sounds pretty good.
听起来挺不错的。
All philosophies sound good.
所有流派的哲学听起来都不错,
The trouble with mine was, I kept forgetting to take it easy.
可问题是我老是忘记要活得轻松,
Until one day. The day I came off the highway into this barber shop.
直到有一天我离开公路,来到了这家理发店。
The barber told me the shop was for sale.
那个理发师告诉我,这家店要出售,
I told him all I had to my name was eighty dollars.
我对他说我只有80美元。
He sold me the shop for seventy-five, and threw in the haircut.
他以75美元的价格把店卖给了我,还免费给我理了一次发。
I've been here ever since. That was twenty-four years ago.
从那天起我就一直呆在这里。这可是24年前的事了。
How old were you then?
你那时多大?
Old enough to know a good thing when I saw it.
不小了,知道看到的是好东西了。
What did you see?
你看到什么了?
O.K.-by-the-Sea, and this shop. (He gets out of the chair, goes to the hat tree, and puts on the hat hanging there.)
海边满意镇,还有这家理发店。(他从座椅上站了起来,走近帽架,戴上了挂在上面的帽子。)