How do you expect to do that?
你打算怎么把他弄回来呢?
Well, we put an ad in the paper.
嗯,我们在报上登了个广告。
This paper? But your father's not in town. How will he see an ad in this paper?
这份报吗?可是我们都知道你爸不在镇上,他怎么会看到这份报上的广告呢?
He might see it. Anyhow, we don't know what else to do.
他没准能看到。反正我们也没有什么别的办法。
We're living off the money we saved from the summer we worked, but there isn't much left.
我们现在只好花我们夏天干活挣的钱,剩下的也不多了。
The summer you worked?
你们夏天干活?
Yeah. The summer before last, just before we moved here.
对,是去年夏天,在我们搬到这儿以前。
We picked cotton in Kern County. My father, my mother, and me.
我们在克恩县摘棉花,我爸、我妈还有我。
What do you say in your ad?
你在广告里都说了些什么?
Well, I say... 'Clark Larrabee, come home. Your fishing tackle's in the closet safe and sound.
嗯,我说,“克拉克·拉腊比,回家吧。你的渔具在壁橱里完好无损,
The fishing's good, plenty of perch, and bass.
渔情不错,有不少河鲈,还有海鲈。
Let bygones be bygones. We miss you. Mama, Clay, Roxanna, Rufus, Clara.'
过去的都过去了,我们都想你。妈妈、克莱、洛克沙娜、鲁弗斯、克拉拉。”
Do you think if my father reads it, he'll come home?
你说我爸看到后会回家吗?
I don't know, Clay. I hope so.
克莱,我说不准,但愿如此吧。
Yeah. Thanks a lot for the haircut, Mr. Van Dusen.
是啊,谢谢你给我理发,范杜森先生。
(Clay goes out. Harry takes off the hat, and begins to shave.
(克莱出了理发店,哈里摘下了帽子,开始刮胡子。
A pretty girl in a swimming suit comes into the shop, closing a colorful parasol.)
一位身着泳装的年轻漂亮女子进了店,合上了她那色彩鲜艳的阳伞。)