Good morning class!
同学们早上好!
Today I’d like to introduce some English expressions about animals.
今天我要介绍一些关于动物的英语表达。
Cats are one of the most popular pets among Americans;
猫是美国人中最受欢迎的宠物之一;
so it’s not surprising that there are many expressions about cats in American English.
所以美式英语中有很多关于猫的表达并不奇怪。
If someone looks very proud and satisfied with himself,
如果一个人看起来很骄傲,对自己很满意,
we might say, “He looks like the cat that ate the canary.”
我们可能会说,“他看起来像一只吃了金丝雀的猫。”
If you reveal a secret or a surprise by accident,
如果你无意中泄露了一个秘密或一个惊喜,
we can say, “You let the cat out of the bag.”
我们可以说,“你露马脚了。”。
If you couldn’t speak or answer a question,
如果你不能说话或回答问题,
someone might ask, “Has the cat got your tongue?”
那么某人可能会问:“你的舌头被猫叼走了吗?”
And for the way you behave in class when the teacher leaves, we sometimes say,
对于老师离开后你在课堂上的表现,我们有时会说,
"When the cat’s away, the mice will play,"
“猫儿不在,老鼠成精,”
meaning to do what they want and have fun when there is no supervision.
意思是在没有监督的情况下做自己想做的事,玩得开心。
You may have also heard the expression,
你可能也听过这个表达,
"Curiosity killed the cat."
”好奇害死猫。“
This is to warn someone not to ask too many questions,
这是警告某人不要问太多问题,
as it might get them into trouble.
因为这可能会给他们带来麻烦。