Conversation Two
对话二
Listen to the conversation, and mark each question as A, B, C or D according to your listening.
听对话,根据对话内容从A、B、C、D四个选项中选出最佳答案。
Mariella, you live in a typical London terraced house, with a long thin garden plot at the back, just like all the other houses in the street.
玛丽拉,你住在一栋典型的伦敦排屋式房子里,房子后面有一块窄长的花园,就像街上的其他房子一样。
But there the similarity ends.
但相似之处仅此而已。
Your garden is a―well, I don’t know how to describe it―it’s a jungle in the nicest possible way, a bit of paradise!
你的花园是一个——嗯,我不知道该怎么形容它——简直就是一片丛林,有点像天堂!
You’ve got hanging baskets bursting with flowers, roses clutch at your feet as you walk along the path.
当你沿着小路行走时,你会看到挂满鲜花的吊篮,脚下满是玫瑰花。
In fact, everywhere you look is bursting with flowering shrubs, bushes and plants of every description at every level!
事实上,你所看到的每一个地方都是开花的灌木、灌木和各种各样的植物!
Why did you create the garden?
你为什么要建造这个花园?
I wanted a garden which would remind me of my native home in Jamaica, although the climate here is very different, of course.
我想要一个能让我想起牙买加老家的花园,当然,尽管这里的气候非常不同。
Your father was a farmer, wasn’t he? Do your green fingers come from him?
你父亲是农民,对吗?你的园艺技能是从他那里学来的吗?
No, I haven’t got green fingers! No way!
不,我没有园艺技能!一点也没有!
My father cultivated bananas for a living but he grew lots of different kinds of vegetables and we lived off what was grown in the garden.
我父亲以种植香蕉为生,但他也种了许多不同种类的蔬菜,我们靠菜园里种的蔬菜为生。
And besides vegetables, we had lots of flowers too.
除了蔬菜,我们还种了很多花。
I must say, the exuberance of your garden here certainly captures the atmosphere of a Caribbean landscape.
我得说,你繁茂的花园的确很有加勒比海风情。
You came here many years ago―it was February, wasn’t it?
你多年前就到这里了——那是二月,对吗?
Yes, it was cold and grey when I arrived―not the best time to be here!
是的,我到的时候天气又冷又阴——不是来这里的最佳时机!
The garden was nothing but weeds but I saw it and I set to work.
花园里除了杂草什么都没有,但我看到了它,就开始动手干活。
What did you grow at first?
你一开始种的是什么?
My son liked vegetables.
我儿子喜欢蔬菜。
He liked to eat them raw, not cooked.
他喜欢生吃,不喜欢煮熟的。
So I grew vegetables for him.
所以我给他种了蔬菜。
He would come in from school and munch away at the freshly-picked vegetables: cabbages, carrots, cucumber, pumpkin.
他放学回来,大口大口地吃着刚摘的蔬菜:卷心菜、胡萝卜、黄瓜、南瓜。
I used to get a lot of satisfaction just watching him eat.
我以前光是看着他吃我就很满足。
How did you learn to garden?
你是怎么学会园艺的?
I didn’t learn from books or anything like that.
我不是从书本或类似的东西上学到的。
I would just walk into a shop, see a packet of seeds and plant them, just like that!
我只是走进一家商店,看到一包种子,然后种下它们,就这样!
If they didn’t work out, I would keep trying until they did okay.
如果它们不成功,我会继续尝试,直到它们成功为止。
My children weren’t interested in the garden but my grandson is keen on gardening.
我的孩子们对花园不感兴趣,但我的孙子热衷于园艺。
He learned about gardening at school and planted those sunflowers all by himself, although he’s only six.
他在学校里学习了园艺,尽管他只有六岁,但他自己种了那些向日葵。
Do you allow yourself a favourite flower?
你会种自己最喜欢的花吗?
I love the shrimp plant with yellow flowers that is grown in Jamaica.
我喜欢生长在牙买加的开黄色花朵的虾衣花。
Friends in Jamaica said it would be too cold here for it to flourish, but I planted it in the garden and then took it to the living room, where it blooms well.
牙买加的朋友们说,这里太冷了,不适合它生长,但我把它种在花园里,然后把它带到客厅,在那里它开得很好。
You must derive a great deal of satisfaction from the garden.
你一定从花园里得到了极大的满足感。
When I wake up in the morning and look out, you know, it...it is joy, pure joy.
当我早上醒来向外看的时候,你知道,这是快乐,纯粹的快乐。