We tried to stay awake as long as possible to see Father Christmas
我们尽可能久地,努力坚持不睡着,以便能看看圣诞老人,
but the next thing we knew it was morning. Christmas morning!
但是我们所能记着的就是第二天早上了。圣诞节的早晨!
At the bottom of the bed was the stocking, now full of all kinds of small presents and sweets.
袜子在床角,里面放满了各种小礼物和糖果。
Christmas morning was bright and sunny and, after church,
圣诞节的早晨明亮又晴朗,礼拜归来,
my cousin David and I went out into the garden to play with our new presents.
我和表兄大卫出去到花园玩我们的新礼物。
Lunch was always late, but what a lunch!
午餐通常晚开饭,可那是多么丰盛的午餐啊!
A big turkey with all the vegetables followed by Christmas pudding.
各种蔬菜、一只大火鸡,最后还有圣诞布丁。
I like turkey breast the best.
我最喜欢吃火鸡的鸡胸肉。
I put so much food in my mouth sometimes that it was hard to swallow.
我有时嘴巴里塞满很多食物,难于吞咽。
We sang Christmas carols happily, laughed at jokes, put on silly paper hats and laughed again.
我们愉快地唱着圣诞颂歌,笑着讲笑话,戴上傻乎乎的纸帽子,又笑了起来。
After lunch, the adults slept on the sofas in front of the Queen's speech on television while we all played cards.
午餐后,电视上正在播放女王的电视讲话,大人们在电视机前的沙发上睡了,而我们都在玩扑克牌。
Then we had tea, with a huge Christmas cake covered with snowmen.
之后我们喝茶,吃着雪人蛋糕。
It didn't seem possible, but we carried on eating.
虽然有点不可能,但是我们一直在吃。
By bedtime all of the children were very tired.
到该上床睡觉时,所有孩子都很累了。
As soon as we turned off the light, we all fell into a deep, happy sleep.
刚一关灯,我们就都进入了香甜的梦香。