Cultural differences
文化差异
Hi, everyone. My name's Ma Li.
嗨,各位。我叫马丽。
I need some help on my homework—it's about cultural differences.
我的家庭作业是关于文化差异的,我想寻求一些帮助。
Can I sit down and talk to you?
我可以坐下来和你们聊聊吗?
Hi, Ma Li, I'm Waled from Brunei.
嗨,玛丽,我是来自文莱的瓦利德。
And I'm Peter, from the UK. Nice to meet you.
我是彼得,来自英国,很高兴见到你。
Nice to meet you too. Can you tell me about some cultural differences you have found?
很高兴见到你。你们可以告诉我一些你们发现的文化差异吗?
Waled, why don't you tell her about the British teacher who opened the present as soon as he received it at the end-of-term ceremony?
瓦利德,为什么不告诉她那个在期末典礼上一收到礼物就拆开的英国老师?
Oh, I already know about that one.
噢,我已经知道那个了。
My American friend Jack did the same thing.
我的美国朋友杰克做了同样的事。
Well, it's what we do in the West.
嗯,在西方我们就是这么做的。
It's rude not to open a present when someone gives you one.
当别人给你礼物而你却不及时拆开是不礼貌的。
We like to see how the person reacts.
我们喜欢看这个人的反应。
We think it's strange not to open it!
要是不拆开我们会觉得很奇怪。
What would be another cultural difference ... let me think.
还有什么文化差异呢,让我想想。
Well, I once went to an acquaintance's wedding in Korea and I was very surprised.
唔,我曾经去韩国参加过一个熟人的婚礼,那使我非常惊讶。
Why was that?
为什么呢?
Well, they had a live hen and a rooster as a part of the wedding ceremony.
他们用一只活母鸡和一只活公鸡作为婚礼的一部分。
Live chickens?
活的鸡?
Yes. Roosters are supposed to drive bad spirits away from the wedding ceremony, and the hens are thought to ensure good luck for the marriage.
是的,公鸡被认为能够驱逐婚礼上不好的灵气,母鸡则是确保婚姻的好运。
During the ceremony, the hen laid an egg, and everyone congratulated the new couple because it was considered very lucky.
在婚礼期间,这个母鸡下了一个蛋,在场每个人都祝贺这对新婚夫妇,因为这是非常幸运的。
That's interesting!
真有趣!
In Brunei, at wedding receptions men and women have to sit in separate areas—the men with the bridegroom, and the women with the bride.
在文莱的婚宴上,男士和女士们都必须分开坐—男士们和新郎坐一起,而女士们和新娘坐一起。
Another difference is that while we serve food, soft drinks, tea and coffee,
另一个不同是,我们供应食物,软饮料,茶和咖啡,
alcohol is not permitted at the wedding reception—in fact, alcohol is altogether prohibited in Brunei.
但酒是不允许出现在婚宴上的,事实上,酒在文莱是完全禁止的。
And you probably wouldn't get much sleep if you lived near where a wedding reception was being held.
而且如果你住在婚宴举办地的附近,你可能没法睡很多觉。
That's because we play loud drums to celebrate the wedding for hours afterwards, and sometimes even throughout the night!
那是因为我们会大声敲几小时的鼓来庆祝婚礼,有时甚至会通宵。
Throughout the night?
通宵?
Yeah, people get used to it.
是的,人们已经习惯了。