It's common for you, nonfiction writers, to go forth into an area you know little about.
作为一名非小说作家,你经常会进入自己知之甚少的领域。
You may worry that you are not qualified to bring the story back.
你可能会担心自己没有能力把故事带回来。
I feel that anxiety every time I start a new project.
我每次开始着手一个新项目时都会有这种担心。
I felt it when I went to Bradenton to write my baseball book Spring training.
我在去布雷登顿写我的棒球书《春训》的时候就有这种感觉。
Although I've been a baseball fan all my life, I had never done any sports reporting, never interviewed a professional athlete.
虽然我一直都是一个棒球迷,但是我从未做过体育报道、从未采访过职业运动员。
Any of the men I approached with a notebook could have asked.
每一个我接触到的拿着笔记本的人我本都可以去问的。
What else have you written about baseball? But nobody did.
您还写过什么其他的有关棒球的东西?但是没有人这样做。
They didn't ask, because I was sincere.
他们没有问,因为我太坦诚了。
It was obvious to those man that I really wanted to know how they did their work.
在他们看来我很明显是很想知道他们的工作方式。
Remember this: when you enter a new area and need a shot of confidence, what matters is how you do it.
记住这一点:在你进入一个新领域并且需要给自己一些自信的时候,重要的是怎样去做。
Also remember that your assignment may not be as narrow as you think.
还要记住,你的任务可能并不像你想的那样狭隘。
Often it will turn out to touch some unexpected corner of your experience or your education, enabling you to broaden the story with strength of your own.
它往往会触及到你的经历或教育中一些意想不到的角落,并让你能够凭借自己的实力去把故事扩展开来。
Every such production of the unfamiliar will reduce your fear.
每次这种创造力的产出都会减少你的畏惧。