Hello. Hilary Lodge Retirement Home. Cathy speaking.
你好,希拉里·罗季退休老人福利院。我是凯西。
Hello, my name's John Shepherd. Could I ask if you're the manager of the home?That's right.
你好,我叫约翰·谢泼德。请问你是老人院的经理吗?没错。
Oh, good. Hello, Cathy. A friend of mine is a volunteer at Hilary Lodge, and I'd like to help out, too, if you need more people. I work part-time, so I have quite a lot of free time.
太好了。凯西,你好。我有个朋友在希拉里·罗季老人院当志愿者。假如你们还需要更多人手,我也想来帮忙。我在兼职,所以我有很多空闲时间。
We're always glad of more help, John. Shall I tell you about some of the activities that volunteers get involved in? Please.
约翰,我们很高兴能有更多人帮忙。我给你讲讲一些志愿者参与的活动好吗?请讲。
Well, on Monday evenings we organise computer training.
在周一晚上,我们会组织计算机培训。
We've got six laptops, and five or six residents come to the sessions regularly.
我们有六台手提电脑,固定会有五到六位住客来上课。
They're all now fine at writing and sending emails, but our trainer has just moved away, and we need two or three volunteers who can help the residents create documents. Just simple things, really.
现在他们写邮件和发邮件都没问题,但我们的培训师搬走了,我们需要两三位志愿者来帮忙教居民建立新文件。其实就是些很基础的东西。
I'd certainly be interested in doing that.
我对此很有兴趣。
Great. Then on Tuesday afternoons, we have an informal singing class, which most of the residents attend.
好。在周二下午,我们有一个非正式的歌唱班,大部分居民都会来。
We've got a keyboard, and someone who plays, but if you'd like to join in the singing, you'd be very welcome.
我们有台电子琴,也有人弹琴,但如果你也想来唱歌,大家无任欢迎。
I work on Tuesdays at the moment, though that might change. I'll have to give it a miss for now, I'm afraid.
我目前周二要上班,但可能会有变动,恐怕暂时我只能跳过这项活动了。
OK. Then on Thursday mornings we generally have a session in our garden.
好的。在周四早上,我们一般在花园里上课。
Several of our residents enjoy learning about flowers - where they grow best, how to look after them, and so on.
好几位住客很喜欢学习花卉知识——哪里是最佳生长地,怎么照料花卉等等。
Is that something you're keen on?
你感兴趣吗?
I'm no expert, but I enjoy gardening, so yes, I'd like to get involved. Do you have your own tools at the home?
我不是这方面的专家,但我很喜欢愿意,所以,是的,我想参加。你们在老人院那儿有工具吗?
We've got a few, but not very many.
我们有一些工具,但不多。
I could bring some in with me when I come.
我可以带些来。
Thank you very much. One very important thing for volunteers is that we hold a monthly meeting where they all get together with the staff.
太感谢你了。对志愿者来说,有一件事很重要:我们每月会开一次会,志愿者们和老人院员工一起。
It's a chance to make sure we're working well together, and that everyone knows how the residents are, and what's going on in the home. Aha.
我们借此机会确保合作融洽,也确保大家都知道住客都有哪些人,老人院里的大小事务等。好。
Now, obviously we'd need to get to know you before yon become one of our volunteers. Of course.
显然,在你成为志愿者前,我们需要了解一下你。当然。
Could you come in for an informal interview, later this week, maybe?
你能这周晚些时候来一趟,接受一次非正式面试吗?
I'm busy the next couple of days, but would Saturday be possible?
我接下来几天都挺忙的,周六可以吗?
Certainly. Just drop in any time during the day.
当然。白天任意时候过来一趟就可以。
I won't be working then, so you'll see my assistant, Mairead.
我那时候不上班,你见到我的助手玛瑞德。
Sorry, how do you spell that? It's M-A-I-R-E-A-D, Mairead.
抱歉,你能拼写一下吗?M-A-I-R-E-A-D,玛瑞德。
OK, got that. It's not a name I'm familiar with.
好的,知道了。我对这个名字不熟悉。
It's an Irish name. She comes from Dublin.
这是个爱尔兰名字,她来自都柏林。
Right. And the road that Hilary Lodge is in is called Bridge Road, isn't it? That's right. Number 73. Fine.
好。希拉里·罗季老人院所在的路名是大桥路,对吗?没错,73号。好的。
Oh, one other thing you might be interested in - we're holding a couple of "open house" days, and still need a few volunteers, if you're available.
噢,还有一件事,你可能会有兴趣:我们要举办几天的“开放日”活动,还需要几位志愿者帮忙,如果你有空的话。
What are the dates?
具体什么日期呢?
There's one on April the 9th, and another on the 14th of May. They're both Saturdays and all-day events.
四月九日有一天,五月十四日有一天,都是在周六,活动持续一整天。
I can certainly manage May the 14th. I've got another commitment on April the 9th, though.
我可以参加五月十四日的活动,但在四月九日我有别的事情。
That would be a great help.
这可帮了我们不少忙。
We're having several guest entertainers: singers, a brass band, and so on. And we're expecting a lot of visitors.
我们邀请了几位演艺人员:歌手、铜管乐队等等。我们预计会有很多人来参观。
So one possibility is to help look after the entertainers, or you could spend an hour or so organising people as they arrive, and then just be part of the team making sure everything's going smoothly.
所以,你可以帮忙安排演艺人员,或者可以花一个多小时安排到场观众,然后就和其他人一起确保活动顺利进行。
Well, shall I show people where they can park?
我能为人们指示停车处吗?
Lovely. Thank you. One reason for holding the open house days is to get publicity for Hilary Lodge locally.
很好。谢谢。我们举办开放日的一个原因是在当地宣传一下希拉里·罗季老人院。
So you may find you have someone from a newspaper wanting to interview you.
你可能会遇到某家报社的人想采访你。
They'll want to find out from two or three people why they volunteer to help at the home.
他们希望访问两三个人,问问为什么志愿者来老人院帮忙。
We're trying to get a TV station to come, too, but they don't seem very interested.
我们正在努力争取让电视台也来,但他们似乎不太感兴趣。
I don't mind being interviewed.
我不介意接受采访。
Good. Well, if you come in for a chat, as we arranged, we'll take it from there.
好,如果你照此前安排过来聊聊天,我们届时再看情况吧。
Thank you very much for calling.
非常感谢你的来电。
My pleasure. Goodbye! Bye!
我的荣幸。再见!再见!
That is the end of section 1, you now have half a minute to check your answers.
第一部分结束,你现在有半分钟时间检查答案。