Yang Li: Hi I'm Yang Li, and welcome to Authentic Real English. 大家好,我是杨丽,欢迎收听地道英语节目。
Diarmuid: And I'm Diarmuid. 我是圣保罗。
Yang Li: 这档节目专门向大家介绍现代法语当中常用的一些词语。
Diarmuid: Eh, Yang Li, did you say words we use in modern French? 额,杨丽,你说过我们在现代发语中用的词吗?
Yang Li: Yes, well done Diarmuid! Just testing you there, I wanted to see if you were on the ball today, Diarmuid. 是的,问得好,圣保罗!你就在这里测试一下我,我想看看你是不是机警的。
Diarmuid: Ah, I see. And that's today's phrase: on the ball. When you are on the ball it means you are alert and quick to react to things. 啊,我知道了。今天要学的短语就是on the ball。当你on the ball的时候是说你很机警,并且反映很快。
Yang Li: 没错。To be on the ball 意思是机警的。遗憾的是我们并不是总能处于机警的状态。就象下面对话中的男子。
Examples:
A: I'm afraid your work this morning has not been good enough. You've made too many mistakes. 我恐怕你的今天早上的工作做得不是很好。你犯了太多的错。
B: Sorry, I'm not really on the ball today. 抱歉,今天我不是很机警。
Diarmuid: So to be on the ball means to be able to react quickly to things. There's also another phrase: "to keep your eye on the ball".
Yang Li: 这个短语意思是在一个变化无常的环境下你必须要保持精神集中不走神儿。
Diarmuid: For example, in business, like investment banking.
Yang Li: 比如,金融投资。
Examples:
A: That new guy's great. 那个新来的家伙很不错。
B: Yes, well you have to keep your eye on the ball in investment banking. 是的,你得机警地应对投资银行。
Yang Li: 说到这里我想提醒大家,如果你要保持对英语学习的高度注意力,保持前卫,那么就要经常登陆我们的网页跟踪新词新语。
Diarmuid: That's right. Our address is www.bbcchinauk.com. 说的对。
Yang Li: Eh, hang on Diarmuid. That's not our website address. 嗯,圣保罗等等。这个网站地址不是我们网站的。
Diarmuid: Ha ha, just seeing if you were on the ball! Our address is of course www.bbcukchina.com. 哈哈,就是想试探下你是否在机警的状态下!我们的网站当然是这个了。
Yang Li: That's correct. Bye everyone. 这回说对了,大家下期再见。