Welcome to English in a Minute, where we teach you all about idioms in American English.
欢迎收听《一分钟英语》,在这里我们将教授您一些美式英语中的俚语。
If you have ever heard of American English, you might have heard this: cut to the chase.
如果你听过美式英语,你可能会听到过这个“cut to the chase”(直接说重点)?
What does this mean?
这是什么意思呢?
Stop with all the details and cut to the chase.
不要说这么详细,直说重点(cut to the chase)。
What university are you attending in the fall?
秋天的时候,你去哪所大学念书?
I am going to Syracuse!
我要去雪城大学。
That's great! Congratulations!
真棒!祝贺你!
Cut to the chase means to say what is important without delay or just get to the point!
Cut to the chase的意思是直接说重点,直接说你要表达的。
It's like saying I just want the important information! NOW!
就像是说我现在想要知道重点。
This phrase started in Hollywood when silent movie directors said cut to the chase usually after a romantic scene.
这个短语起源于好莱坞。通常在拍摄浪漫情景之后,无声电影导演就会说直入重点。(cut to the chase)
Now when you use cut to the chase you can say with a happy or an angry voice depend on your mood.
现在,你可以根据自己的心情来决定说这个短语时,是开心地说还是生气地说。
And that's English in a Minute.
以上就是本期的《一分钟英语》。