也可以读成:[ˈaɪðə(r)]
两者之一
You can park on either side of the street.
你可以停在路任何一侧。
There are two types of application—either is acceptable.
两种申请方式,任何一种都是可以接受的。
第二个意思:两者中的每一个
The offices on either side were empty.
两边办公室都是空的。
Neither [ˈnaɪðər]
也可以读成:[ˈnaɪðə(r)]
两者皆否/皆无,指哪个都不是
Neither answer is correct.
没有一个答案是正确的。
Neither of them has a car.
他俩没人有车。
- Which do you like?
你喜欢哪个?
- Neither. I think they're both ugly.
都不喜欢,我觉得他们都很丑。
- I don't have any money.
我没有钱了。
- Neither do I.
我也是哎。
Me neither. 或 Me either. 也可以
规律一:
Neither candidate was selected for the job.
两个候选人里哪个都没被选上做这个工作。
- Coffee or tea?
咖啡还是茶?
- Either is OK for me.
哪个对我来说都可以。
Neither of the proposals meets our requirements. (正式说法)
没有一个方案符合我们的条件。
Neither of my parents speak a foreign language. (非正式说法)
我的家长没有一人会说外语。
规律三:
Either… or 或 Neither… nor
Neither his sons nor he was responsible for this.
他儿子们和他都不应当为此承担责任。
Either she or her teachers are going to speak to the principal.
不是她就是她的老师们回去和校长谈话。
Either his parents or his grandparents are going to pay for his tuition.
不是他父母就是他祖父母会给他交学费。