1. Expression:lay an egg
Explanation 1:To do something very poorly. (做事情做得糟糕)
Example: The cast laid an egg in both performances.
演员们在这两场演出中都出了洋相。
I'm afraid I might lay an egg in front of such a large audience.
我怕会在这么多观众面前出洋相。
He's a very excellent director but he laid an egg with his last movie.
他是个非常棒的导演,不过他的上部电影真的很失败。
You will lay an egg unless you work harder.
如果你不更加努力就会失败。
情景对话:
A: What do you learn from today’s lecture? I heard from your teacher that it would be made by a very famous scholar on history.
你从今天的演讲中学到了什么?听你的老师说今天做报告的人是个非常有名的历史专家。
B: But I think his lecture just laid an egg for I can remember nothing after it.
但是,我觉得他的演讲很失败,因为我现在什么也记不起来了。
Explanation 2: 强烈发笑
Example:I didn’t know whether to cry or to lay an egg.
我真是哭笑不得。
2. Expression:bring one’s egg to a bad market
Explanation:To fail. (失败)
Example:But for your advice, I should have brought my eggs to a bad market.
要不是你的忠告,我会失败的。
He brought his eggs to a bad market because he played his cards badly.
他由于不善于利用机会而失败。
I'll never lose heart even if I should bring my eggs to a bad market ten times.
即使失败十次,我也不灰心。
Paul looks down in the mouth because he brought his eggs to a bad market in the attempt.
保罗因为尝试失败看起来很沮丧。