1. Expression:knuckle under
Explanation: To yield or give in to someone or something. (屈服,让步)
Example:The committee is pressuring me to approach this project differently, but I refuse to knuckle under to the pressure.
委员会向我施压,要我以不同的方式处理这个项目,我拒不屈从于压力。
You have to knuckle under to your boss if you expect to keep your job.
如果你想保住你的工作,就得屈服于你的老板。
I've made up my mind on this matter, and I will not knuckle under.
这件事我已下了决心,我决不屈服。
The union knuckled under to pressure from the company.
工会屈从于公司的压力。
2. Expression:kooky
Explanation:Somewhat crazy, weird, or eccentric. (有点古怪的,发神经的)
Example:My family always thought I was a bit kooky because of my unconventional lifestyle.
我家人因我非传统的生活方式而总是认为我有点古怪。
情景对话 1:
A: What's the deal with the kooky old lady who lives at the end of 16th Street?
住在第16街尽头的那个古怪的老太太是怎么回事?
B: Who, the Widow Crawford? She's harmless, just a recluse who's gone a bit senile.
谁,克劳福德寡妇?她没有恶意的,只是一个高龄衰老的独居者。
情景对话2:
Situation:Mike meets one at the bus station. He begins to chat with this person. At this moment, a young man comes nearer.
(Mike在汽车站遇见一个人,并和他攀谈起来。这时,一个年轻人走过来。)
A: The person is really hooky. Look at it’s clothes. I even don’t know whether it is a male or female.
那个人真古怪,看看看他穿的衣服,我不知道他是男还是女。
B: She is female, my daughter.
她是女的,是我女儿。
A: Oh, I am terribly sorry. I don’t know you’er her mother.
哦,对不起,我不知道你是她母亲。
B: I am his fater.
我是她爸爸。