实用短语
ask for leave
请假
May I ask for leave tomorrow?
我明天能请假吗?
Could you ask for leave for me? I need to go home.
你能帮我请假吗?我需要回家。
turn down
拒绝
I thanked him for the offer but turned it down.
我感谢了他的好意,但是拒绝了。
I turned down his invitation.
我拒绝了他的要求。
经典对话
A: Good afternoon, Tim. I asked for leave this morning, could you tell me something about the meeting in the morning?
下午好,蒂姆。今天早上我请假了,你能告诉我关于早上开会的事宜吗?
B: Certainly. On the whole, the meeting was quite successful. There was a lively discussion on each subject.
当然了。本次会议整体上还是比较成功的,每一个议题都进行了热烈的讨论。
A: Sounds great. I regret not taking part in the meeting. I am very concerned about whether the previous resolutions have been passed.
听起来很不错,我很后悔没有参加这次会议,我很关心是否通过了之前的决议。
B: Some resolutions have been passed and others need to be discussed at another meeting tomorrow.
有一些通过了,还有一些需要明天再开个会讨论一下。
A: Do you mean to have another meeting again?
你的意思说要再开一个会?
B: Yes, you can go and see Nancy's minutes, very detailed, so that you can familiarize yourself with the contents of the meeting.
是的,你可以去看一下南希的会议记录,非常详细,这样你就可以熟悉会议内容了。
minute除了表示“片刻,分钟”,还可以表示“会议记录”,具体回顾点这☞:你觉得想不到!“minute”还有这层意思?
familiarize/fəˈmɪliəraɪz/表示“使熟悉”
A: Nancy? The secretary of our general manager?
Nancy?总经理秘书吗?
B: Yes. Her office is on the third floor to the left.
是的,她的办公室在三楼,左手边。
A: But I don't know her very well. Is it possible that she will lend it to me?
但是我跟她不太熟悉,她会借给我吗?
B: Don't worry. She is easy to get along with and very helpful. Just have a try, she won't turn you down.
别担心,她很好相处,而且很乐于助人。去试试吧,她应该不会拒绝你的。
A: I hope so.
但愿如此。
B: If you need any help, just let me know.
如果你需要帮忙,就告诉我。
A: Thank you.
谢谢。