-课程导读
璐璐老师特别感慨的是,当她们说“月亮与六便士的选择永远存在,当你年轻的时候,你永远会选择月亮。”你会怎么选呢?本期口语节目,我们就来聊聊年轻人的选择与迷茫。
【每天背五句】慢速朗读版-已发布在【可可英语口语】公众号
各位同学,【每天背五句】是地道精选内容,就算你今天什么也没学会,把这五句背下来,跟着老师,一年你会背下来1440句,累计词汇将超过8000!
1. I graduated from a top Ivy League college with a 3.9 GPA two years ago, but I haven’t been able to land a job since.
我毕业于顶尖常青藤院校,GPA3.9,但毕业之后就没找到工作。
2. They fell from grace after graduating from an Ivy League school and not being able to find a job.
从常青藤名校毕业后,他们却找不到工作,人生高开低走。
3. Give me a break! I just wanna veg now.
让我歇会儿吧!我只想当个废物。
4. She's dating that good-for-nothing guy again.
她又和那个一无是处的家伙约会了。
5. After graduating from college, I felt at sea because I didn't know what career path to choose.
大学毕业后,我感到很迷茫,不知道应该选择哪条职业道路。
【口语积累】
1. 名牌大学 elite university
elite是“精英”的意思,这里elite university指的就是只有极少数人能考上的顶尖大学。也可以用top university也表示。
Getting into and graduating from an elite university takes a lot of hard work and sacrifice.
考进名牌大学并顺利毕业需要付出很多努力和牺牲。
I have an undergraduate degree in engineering from a top-ranked university.
我拥有一所顶尖大学的工程学学士学位。
Oxford and Cambridge are two of the oldest and most respected elite universities in the UK.
牛津和剑桥是英国两所最有声望的顶尖学府。
I graduated from a top Ivy League college with a 3.9 GPA two years ago, but I haven’t been able to land a job since.
我毕业于顶尖常青藤院校,GPA3.9,但毕业之后就没找到工作。
2. 高开低走 peak early in life
名校毕业却一事无成,这种“高开低走”的人生我们可以用peak early in life来形容,表示一个人很早就达到了巅峰,之后却一直走下坡路。还可以用fall from grace来形容,这个短语指的是,一个人本来似乎很优秀高高在上,但忽然不再成功不再受欢迎。
Despite his initial success, he peaked early in life and was never able to replicate his early achievements.
虽然他一开始很成功,但之后就高开低走,再也没能复制之前的成功。
They fell from grace after graduating from an Ivy League school and not being able to find a job.
从常青藤名校毕业后,他们却找不到工作,人生高开低走。
He had two Oscar nominations, before falling from grace.
他有过两次奥斯卡提名,但之后就辉煌不再。
Life is not always a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.'
生活并不总是有一手好牌,有时需要你把手上的烂牌打好。
3. 当个废物 veg
veg是“蔬菜”vegetable的缩写,它也有“植物人”的意思,在这里指的是“像植物人一样躺平”。veg 可以作名词也可以当动词,动词一般是veg out一起用,是消遣、休闲的意思。“废物”我们还可以翻译为good-for-nothing,指“懒人,无用之人”。
I'm exhausted - I think I'll just go home and veg out in front of the TV tonight.
我累死了,今晚我要回家看看电视当个废物。
Give me a break! I just wanna veg now.
让我歇会儿吧!我只想当个废物。
He's such a good-for-nothing slacker, he never does any work around the house.
他真是一个无用的懒汉,从不干家务。
She's dating that good-for-nothing guy again.
她又和那个一无是处的家伙约会了。
I can't believe my good-for-nothing car broke down again!
我不敢相信我的破车又坏了!
4. 迷茫 feel at sea
想象一下,当我们置身于茫茫的大海中,是不是会有一种茫然不知所措的感觉?所以我们可以用feel at sea来表示“感到迷茫”。此外,feel lost也可以表示“迷失,失落,找不到方向”的感觉。它的另一个形式是at a loss。最后,我们还可以用uncertain来表达对未来的“不确定”。
I just started my new job, and I feel completely at sea in this new environment.
我刚开始新工作,这个新环境让我完全不知所措。
After graduating from college, I felt at sea because I didn't know what career path to choose.
大学毕业后,我感到很迷茫,不知道应该选择哪条职业道路。
When I lost my job, I felt lost and uncertain about my future career path.
当我失去了工作,我感到失落,对自己未来的职业道路感到不确定。
I was at a loss for what to do next.
我不知道下一步该做什么。
I feel uncertain about the future.
我感到未来一片茫然。
关注“可可英语口语”公众号回复“讲义”获取本期讲义!及细看热点慢速朗读版~