“— and as you see, certain of these poisons might make it appear —”
“—你知道,这上面的有些毒药可以让它看上去——”
“I understand, sir, of course,” said Mr. Borgin. “Let me see . . .”
“我明白,先生,这是当然的。”博金先生说,“让我看看……”
“Can I have that?” interrupted Draco, pointing at the withered hand on its cushion.
“能把那个给我看看吗?”德拉科指着垫子上那只枯萎的人手问道。
“Ah,the Hand of Glory!” said Mr. Borgin,abandoningMr. Malfoy’s list and scurrying over to Draco.
“啊,光荣之手!”博金先生叫道,丢下马尔福先生的单子,奔到德拉科面前。
“Insert a candle and it gives light only to the holder!
“插上一支蜡烛,只有拿着它的人才能看见亮光!
Best friend of thieves and plunderers!
这是小偷和强盗最好的朋友!
Your son has fine taste, sir.”
您的儿子很有眼力,先生。”
“I hope my son will amount to more than a thief or a plunderer, Borgin,” said Mr. Malfoy coldly,
“我希望我的儿子比小偷和强盗有出息一点儿,博金。”马尔福先生冷冷地说。
and Mr. Borgin said quickly, “No offense, sir,no offensemeant —”
博金先生马上说:“对不起,先生,我没有那个意思——”
“Though if his grades don’t pick up,” said Mr. Malfoy, more coldly still, “that may indeed be all he is fit for —”
“不过要是他的成绩没有起色,”马尔福先生语气更冷地说,“他也许只能干那些勾当。”
“It’s not my fault,” retorted Draco.
“这不是我的错,”德拉科顶嘴说,
“The teachers all have favorites, that Hermione Granger—”
“老师们都很偏心,那个赫敏?格兰杰—”
“I would have thought you’d be ashamed that a girl of no wizard family beat you in every exam,” snapped Mr.Malfoy.
“一个非巫师家庭出身的女孩子回回考试都比你强,我还以为你会感到羞耻呢。”马尔福先生怒气冲冲地说。
“Ha!” said Harry under his breath, pleased to see Draco looking both abashed and angry.
“哈哈!”看到德拉科又羞又恼的样子,哈利差点笑出声来。
“It’s the same all over,” said Mr. Borgin, in his oily voice.
“到处都是这样,”博金先生用他那油滑的腔调说,
“Wizardblood is counting for less everywhere—”
“巫师血统越来越不值钱了。”
“Not with me,” said Mr. Malfoy, his long nostrils flaring.
“我不这样认为。”马尔福先生说,他的长鼻孔扇动着,喷着粗气。
“No, sir, nor with me, sir,” said Mr. Borgin, with a deep bow.
“我也不,先生。”博金先生深鞠一躬说。
“In that case, perhaps we can return to my list,” said Mr. Malfoy shortly.
“那么,也许我们可以接着看我的单子了吧。”马尔福先生不耐烦地说道,
“I am in something of a hurry, Borgin, I have important business elsewhere today —”
“我时间不多,博金,今天我还有重要的事情要办。”