Life as a newspaper reporter can be aggravating.
报社记者的生活时常相当恼人。
Every morning at 5 a.m.,there's a staff meeting where the managing editor goes through his agenda for the day.
每天早上五点有一次全体员工会议,会上主编会一一讲述当天的日程安排。
He's not at all agreeable in the morning.
早上的主编根本谈不上和蔼可亲。
In fact, he's akin to a grouchy bear.
实际上,他就像头爱发脾气的狗熊。
Oh does he love to agitate us!
噢,他偏偏要弄得我们狂躁不安!
I drink coffee to calm my nerves but sometimes it just aggravates my stomach.
我喝点咖啡以镇静神经,但有时咖啡又会加剧我的胃痛。
"Jim, you'll be covering the recent acts of aggression in the Middle East.
“吉姆,你去报道最近在中东发生的侵略行为。
We can't afford to ignore this important development.
我们可担不起错过这一重大进展的后果。
You need to be airborne and on your way to the Middle East within the hour."
一小时以内你必须坐上飞往中东的飞机。”
"Jane, come in here, you're late.
“进来,简,你迟到了。
Don't leave the door ajar, this is a private meeting.
别开着门,这是私人会议。
I need you to get a copy of that new alien alert from the Immigration Department.
我要你从移民局搞一份最新的外侨警报。
The aggregate number of aliens in this country is growing, but it seems to me that such an alert will only serve to alienate our own minority groups.'
这个国家的外侨总人数不断增长,但我看这种警报只会疏远本地的少数群体。”
"Sam, you're the most agile of us all.
“山姆,你是我们所有人当中最灵敏的。
Use your agility to catch up with the world-class runners who are in town for maraton.
运用你的灵敏劲去报道城里世界级马拉松参赛选手的最新情况。
Come on Sam, don't agonize your assignment, just do it. "
好了,山姆,用不着为这点任务弄得痛苦不堪,就动手干吧。”
"Mary, the children in Central Africa are afflicted with an unknown disease.
“玛丽,中非儿童正经受不明病症的折磨。
It's not just an ailment.
那还不是小病小恙,
It's something far more serious.
而是很严重的某种疾病。
Hey, stop looking so aghast, you don't need go there.
喂,你别目瞪口呆的,你又不用去中非。
Just find out the source of the affliction and write a report on it by this afternoon.
你只需找出痛苦的原由,然后在今天下午前写一篇报道就行了。
By the way, I think you should quit drinking coffee, it does nothing to calm your nerves! "
对了,我想你该戒掉喝咖啡的习惯,咖啡根本不能镇静你的神经。”
Oh well, I guess I better get going.
哎,我想我得去干活了。
Can I afford to quit this wonderful job? Not today.
我能舍得辞去这份好工作吗?今天可不行。