Come on, guys. Take it easy.
各位 别激动
How often do we get to meet someone
我们不是经常能碰到
Who says he’s a stone age man?
生于石器时代的人
Well, once is enough.
一次就够了
Edith.
伊迪斯
All right. A guy with your mind
那么 以你的智力
You’d have studied a great deal.
你确实学习了很多 是吗?
I have ten degrees, including all of yours...
我有10个学位 包括在场所有人的
Except yours, will.
除了你的 威尔
That makes me feel a trifle lilliputian.
你让我觉得无地自容
That’s over the span of 170 years.
我花了170年时间
I got my biology degree at oxford in 1840,
1840年 我在牛津获得生物学学位
So I’m a little behind the times.
所以我的知识有些过时
The same in other areas
其他领域也一样-
I can’t keep up with the new stuff that comes along.
我不能跟上所有的新事物
No one can.
没有人可以
Not even in their specialty.
即使在他们专业领域也未必
So much for the myth
万知老人
Of the super-Wise, all-Knowing immortal.
的故事讲完了吗
John I see your point, john.
我懂了
No matter how long a man lives,
不论一个人活多久
He can’t be in advance of his times.
他永远不能超越他所处的时代
He can’t know more than the best of the race knows
他无法超越世界上最聪明的人
If that-I mean, when the world learned it was round,
如果是这样 当全世界都知道地球是圆的
You learned it.
你也知道了
It took some time.
那时候得滞后点
News traveled slowly
信息传播很慢
Before communications were fancy.
在发达的通信行业兴起之前
There were social obstacles,
而且有社会隔阂
Preconceptions, screams from the church.
先入为主的观念宗教的阻碍
Ten doctorates.
10个博士学位
That’s impressive, john. Did you teach them?
太厉害了 John 你全部教过吗?
Some.
某些教过
You might have all done the same.
换了你们也可以的
Living 14,000 years didn’t make me a genius.
活了1’4000年 并不意味着我是个天才
I just had time.
只是我有时间
Dan: time.
时间
We can’t see it, we can’t hear it,
看不见 听不见
We can’t weigh it, we can’t measure it in a laboratory.
无法测重 无法在实验室里测量
It’s a subjective sense of becoming
时间是一种主观感受
What we are instead of what we were a nanosecond ago
以此时之我易彼时之我,
Becoming what we will be in another nanosecond.
转瞬之间 "我"又成了他日之我
The hopis see time as a landscape,
霍皮人认为时间是一道风景
Existing before and behind us,
只存在于身后和眼前
And we move - We move through it,
而我们只是穿过它
Slice by slice.
移步换形
Clocks measure time.
钟表能测量时间
No, they measure themselves.
不 它只能测量自身
The objective referent of clock is another clock.
钟表的参照物只能是另一只钟表很有意思
How very interesting. What has it got to do with john?
这和John有什么关系?
Oh, he-He might be a man
哦 他 他可能是
Who lives outside of time as we know it.
一个生活在时间之外的人
Yes,un, well.
好吧