Harry struggled against the ropes binding him, but they didn't give.
哈利拼命想挣脱束缚他的那些绳索,却被越缠越紧。
He had to keep Quirrell from giving his whole attention to the mirror.
他必须阻止奇洛把全部注意力都集中到魔镜上。
"But Snape always seemed to hate me so much."
“可是斯内普总是显得那么恨我。”
"Oh, he does," said Quirrell casually,
“哦,他确实恨你,”奇洛漫不经心地说,
"heavens, yes. He was at Hogwarts with your father, didn't you know? They loathed each other. But he never wanted you dead."
“天哪,他当然恨你。当年他和你父亲一起在霍格沃茨念书,这你不知道吧?他们俩互相仇恨,不共戴天。不过他可从来不希望你死掉。”
"But I heard you a few days ago, sobbing — I thought Snape was threatening you...."
“可是几天前我听见你在哭——我以为斯内普在威胁你……”
For the first time, a spasm of fear flitted across Quirrell's face.
奇洛的脸上第一次闪过一丝恐惧的震颤。
"Sometimes," he said,
“有的时候,”他说,
"I find it hard to follow my master's instructions — he is a great wizard and I am weak —"
“我觉得很难遵从我主人的指令——他是个伟大的巫师,而我的力量这样微弱——”
"You mean he was there in the classroom with you?" Harry gasped.
“难道你是说,当时和你一起在教室里的是他?”哈利吃惊地问。
"He is with me wherever I go," said Quirrell quietly.
“不论我走到哪里,他都跟我在一起,”奇洛平静地说道,
"I met him when I traveled around the world.
“我是在环游世界时遇到他的。
A foolish young man I was then, full of ridiculous ideas about good and evil.
我当时还是一个傻乎乎的小伙子,对善恶是非有着一套荒唐的想法。
Lord Voldemort showed me how wrong I was.
是伏地魔指出了我的错误。
There is no good and evil, there is only power, and those too weak to seek it....
世界上没有什么善恶是非,只有权力,还有那些无法获取权势的无能之辈……
Since then, I have served him faithfully, although I have let him down many times.
从那以后,我就忠心耿耿地为他效劳,不过我也有许多次令他失望过。
He has had to be very hard on me."
他对我一直非常严厉。”
Quirrell shivered suddenly.
奇洛突然颤抖了一下。
"He does not forgive mistakes easily.
“他从不轻易原谅我的错误。
When I failed to steal the stone from Gringotts, he was most displeased.
当我没能把魔法石从古灵阁偷出来时,他非常不高兴。
He punished me... decided he would have to keep a closer watch on me...."
他惩罚了我……并决定从此更加密切地监视我。”