Today we are having Harriet Sanford on our program to hear about her career in education and her current work supporting public teachers and students through the NEA foundation.
今天,我们邀请了哈丽特·桑福德来做客我们的节目,听她讲述她的教育生涯以及她目前通过NEA基金会支持公立学校教师和学生所做的工作。
Good morning, Harriet. Nice to have you here!
早上好,哈丽特。很高兴你能来参加我们的节目!
Good morning, James.
早上好,詹姆斯。
Harriet, why did you go into education?
哈丽特,你为什么要从事教育行业?
I began my career about 40 years ago as a public-school teacher at an elementary school.
大约40年前,我在一所公立小学当教师,从而开始了我的职业生涯。
Although I did not remain in the classroom for many years, my commitment to improving lives and underserved communities for the better never faltered.
虽然我已经很多年没有教过学了,但我想要使落后社区的生活有所改善的决心从未动摇过。
It has been a privilege to work in education philanthropy for the last 12 years.
在过去的12年里,我很荣幸能从事教育慈善事业。
Why have you been involved in education philanthropy, that is, supporting teachers and students through a foundation?
你为什么会投身于教育慈善事业,即通过基金会支持老师和学生呢?
Well, to answer your question, I have to start with my parents.
要回答你的问题,我得先从我父母说起。
Neither my mother nor father completed their education, but they were adamant that their children take advantage of all of opportunities that a public education offers both in and out of school time.
我的父母都没有完成学业,但他们却坚持要让孩子充分利用校内外公共教育提供的机会。
My parents fully expected their children to pursue higher education and ensured that we could immerse ourselves in our studies, service, sports, and more.
我的父母期望他们的孩子能够接受高等教育,并确保我们能够全身心地投入到学习、服务、体育等中去。
Now many communities, schools and families are facing insufficient resources, just like what we faced those days.
如今,许多社区、学校和家庭都面临着资源不足的问题,就像我们当年所面临的问题一样。
My work and the foundation's work is to do all we can to ensure that every student has access to a quality education and finds his or her own joy in learning.
我和基金会的工作就是尽我们所能确保每个学生都有机会接受优质教育,并在学习中找到自己的乐趣。
Um, I see. Now, Harriet, can you tell us what the NEA foundation is and what support it gives teachers?
嗯,我明白了。哈丽特,你能告诉我们NEA基金会是什么以及它为教师提供了哪些支持吗?
OK. The NEA foundation is an independent public charity.
好的。NEA基金会是一个独立的公共慈善机构。
It was created in 1969 by educators for educators, to improve public education for all students.
它是由教育工作者于1969年为教育工作者所创建的,目的是改善面向所有学生的公共教育。
We distribute grants to educators three times each year to fund their creative and innovative classroom projects.
我们每年向教育工作者发放三次补助金,为他们富有创造性和创新性的课堂项目提供资金。
Last year, all grants empowered more than 6,000 educators, reaching more than 186,000 students.
去年,所有补助金使得6000多名教育工作者受益,惠及超过18.6万名学生。
That's wonderful.
那真是太棒了。
We also have annual awards for teaching excellence, honoring the challenging but crucial work that public school educators do every day.
我们还设立了年度优秀教学奖,以表彰公立学校教育工作者每天所做的具有挑战性但至关重要的工作。
Your work is really appreciated.
非常感谢你的工作。
In addition, we have a global learning fellowship.
此外,我们还设有全球学习奖学金。
Educators can go abroad as part of a year-long professional development program.
作为为期一年的职业发展计划的一部分,教育工作者可以出国。
Participating educators return from their travels with fresh knowledge, skills and perspective needed to teach in the global age.
参加项目的教育工作者从国外归来,带回了在全球化时代教学所需的新知识、技能和观点。
And they are better equipped to deliver globally focused curriculum in their home schools and communities.
他们也更有能力在自己的学校和社区提供面向全球的课程。
I have heard that you have a partner called EverFi.
我听说你有一个合作伙伴叫EverFi。
How do EverFi and the NEA foundation work together?
EverFi和NEA基金会是如何合作的?
Yeah, the NEA foundation and EverFi work together to increase educator and student access to technology and digital learning tools.
是的,NEA基金会通过和EverFi合作,增加教师和学生使用科技和数字工具的机会。
We collectively strive to support critical skill areas that will enhance students' ultimate academic and life success.
我们共同努力为关键技能领域提供支持,以促成学生最终的学业和生活成功。
Could you give us some details about your work?
你能详细介绍一下你的工作吗?
Yeah. Okay. The partnership currently supports NEA school districts across the country, providing free access to EverFi's digital resources and accompanying professional development.
好的。该合作伙伴关系目前支持全国各地的NEA学区,免费提供EverFi数字资源和相应的职业发展。
A number of school districts have participated.
许多学区都参加了这个项目。
Our partnership is leading us to work on more programming to develop initiatives in social and emotional learning.
我们的合作伙伴关系使得我们投入更多精力来开展有关社交和情感学习方面的计划。
What encouragement would you give teachers who are working to integrate critical skills education into their classrooms?
你会给那些致力于将关键技能教育融入课堂的教师什么鼓励?
My key piece of advice to educators, no matter what or whom they teach, is almost always the same.
我给教育工作者的重要建议都是一样的,无论他们教什么或教谁。
Excellence is what you are after.
要追求卓越。
And you are not going to let anything, or anyone stand between your students and excellence.
你不能让任何事情或任何人阻碍你的学生追求卓越。
Be gentle, kind and caring with your students, but be fierce about their education.
对你的学生要温柔、友善和关爱,但对他们的教育要严厉。
Okay, thank you very much, Harriet, for talking to us about your work.
好的,非常感谢你和我们谈论你的工作,哈丽特。
Pleasure!
不客气!
This is the end of the first interview.
第一个访谈到此结束。
Questions 1 to 5 are based on what you have just heard.
根据刚刚听到的内容,回答1至5题。
Question 1: Why does the woman go into education?
问题1:女士为什么要从事教育行业?
Question 2: What is her parents' attitude towards their children's education?
问题2:女士的父母对孩子的教育问题持什么态度?
Question 3: What does the NEA foundation do to improve public education?
问题3:NEA基金会在改善公共教育方面做了什么?
Question 4: What do both EverFi and the NEA foundation plan to do in the future?
问题4:EverFi和NEA基金会未来都计划做什么?
Question 5: According to the woman, what quality should be pursued by a teacher?
问题5:根据女士的说法,教师应该追求什么素质?