Thirteen A Stolen Apple Pie
第十三课 被偷的苹果派
"He appeared out of the blue, officer.
"他是突然出现的,长官。
He came around the corner of the apartment building anxious about something, and then he stole my apple pie right out of the window!
他从宿舍楼拐弯处过来,好像正为某事发愁,然后从窗户偷走了我的苹果派!
If he would have stolen anything but my apple pie, I'd not be so angry.
如果他偷了其他任何东西而不是我的苹果派,我都不会这么生气。
But that was my last pie of the season!
因为那是我这个季节最后一个苹果派!
And I didn't have an appetite for anything else!"
而我没有胃口吃其他任何东西。
"Gee, I'm sorry, Mrs. Anderson.
"哎呀,很抱歉,安德森太太。
I'll have to appeal to your neighbors to see if anyone got a good look at the boy!
我得求助你的邻居,看是否有人看清了那个男孩!
Now apart from his red jacket you saw nothing else?" The officer asked.
除了他的红夹克,你没看见其他东西吗?"警察问
"No sir. But if he would have stayed any longer, I would have knocked him with my broom!"
"没有,长官。如果他多待一点时间,我一定会用扫帚把他打倒在地!"
"Okay. Well I'm anxious to move on.
"那好,不过我现在得着急赶路了。
Your neighbors could leave for work any minute.
你的邻居随时都有可能去上班。
So thank you.
所以谢谢你啦。
Oh, and if I do catch him, you'll file charges for theft?"
噢,如果我真的把他抓到了,你会告他偷窃吗?"
"Oh no! You just bring that boy back here so that he can apologize to me for what he did.
"啊不!不只要把他带到这里来,让他给我认个错就行了。
I don't think it's appropriate to send a boy to jail just for stealing apple pie.
我想因为偷了一个苹果派就将一个孩子送进监狱并不合适。
Let's just teach him a lesson.
咱们就教训他一下吧!
The officier laughed, "Mam, if you want me to apply myself to finding this boy, I'm going to need to get more than an apology!"
"太太,如果你要我致力于寻找这个男孩,我需要的就不只是一个道歉了!"
"Oh, well then. Let's just forget it.
" 啊,是这样,那就忘了这件事吧。
I'll apply for another shipment of apples and make another pie when they get there.
我会申请再送一次苹果来,等苹果到了,我再做另外一个派。
I guess it's not important enough to waste your time."
我猜这事没有重要到浪费你的时间。"
The officer shrugged, packed up his note pad and walked back to his car.
警察耸了耸肩,收拾好笔记本向他的车走去。