106.Another Rumor
106.又一个谣言
"Guess what I just heard?" Dan whispered.
"猜猜我刚刚听到了什么?"丹小声说。
"Aw c'mon, don't make me guess at it! Just tell me!"
"哦!别!别让我猜啦!告诉我吧!"
Mark whispered back, trying to guard against being heard by the people sitting next to him at the dinner.
马克也小声说道,他想尽量不让坐在旁边吃饭的人听到他的话。
"I heard that Dr. Robbins was habituated to marijuana!"
"我听说罗宾斯以前习惯于抽大麻!"
"What? No! He's so clean cut! Out of the half a dozen people here, he would be the last one I could see smoking pot!"
"什么?不可能!他是那么清清白白的一个人!这儿半打人中间,他是我最不可能看到成天熏烟的人!"
"Yep. But he did it for medical reasons.
"是的,但他那样做是有医学方面的原因的。
It seems his half brother almost killed him when they were younger over a pair of gym shoes.
好像是他那同父异母的兄弟小时候为了争一双运动鞋差点要了他的命。
Apparently Dr. Robbins bought the shoes at half price, didn't tell his brother and tried to make him pay full price.
很显然罗宾斯医生用半价买了这双鞋,没有告诉他的兄弟,却准备让他付全款。
It was an awful fight! They both went to the hospital!"
那次架打得可真够狠的,结果俩人都去了医院!"
"Wow! So what is the medical reason?"
"哇!那医学方面的原因又是什么呢?"
"I don't know. Nobody knew who was the hands-down winner.
"我不知道。没人知道谁是当然的贏家。
But Dr. Robbins still carries those shoes around with him today in an old gym bag!
但罗宾斯医生到今天还把那双鞋放在一个旧运动包里带着到处转!
Look there it is at his side! He must still have a grudge against his brother or something!"
你瞧,那包就在他身边呢!他一定还在怨恨他的兄弟或者什么的!"
Dan was a curious person.
丹是个好奇的人。
So he decided that he had better do something about what he had just heard to know if it was true or not.
因此他认为最好还是就刚才听到的事做点什么,看这事儿到底是不是真的。
"Excuse me, Mr. Robbins. Forgive me for being so bold.
"对不起,罗宾斯医生。请原谅我如此冒昧。
But why do you, a guest lecturer, carry around an old gym bag?"
但您作为一名客座讲师为什么总带着一个旧运动包呢?"
"Oh that old thing!" replied Mr. Robbins.
"啊,你说的是那个旧东西!"罗宾斯医生回答说。
"Why don't you guess what is inside?" "A pair of old gym shoes!" Dan replied.
"为什么不猜猜里面装着什么? ""一双旧运动鞋!"丹回答道。
Mr. Robbins was still for a moment and then smiled.
罗宾斯医生平静了一会儿,然后笑了起来。
"No, no. It's just a few workout clothes and a carton of half-and-half. I just came from the gym!"
"不,不。里面只是几件训练服和一盒稀奶油。我刚从体育馆出来!"
Dan kicked Mark under the table!
丹在桌子底下踢了马克一脚!