137.The Lab Assistant
137.实验室助理
"This is a brilliant lab report, Charlie!" The lab assistant said as she handed the paper back to Charlie.
"这是一篇精彩的试验报告,查理!"实验室助理把报告还给查理时说。
"You really know what you're talking about!"
"你确实是写得有理有据!"
"Thanks," Charlie answered. "I know this stuff backwards! I didn't even have to read the laboratory manual!"
"谢谢。"查理回答说。"我对这个东西非常了解!我甚至都不用看试验说明书!"
"Hmm," the lab assistant said, looking very intently at Charlie.
"嗯"实验室助理说,她认真地看着查理。
"I thought you were lacking in knowledge in class. You know, you always seem to be lagging behind.
"在班上我还以为你知识贫乏呢。你知道,你总是显得有些落后。
But now I see that you were just bored, uninterested."
但现在我明白你只是觉得无聊,不感兴趣罢了。"
"Nah. I was interested," Charlie replied. "But just for the first week.
"不是的,我感兴趣,"查理回答说。"但我的兴趣只持续了一周。
I just didn't want to laugh in your face about how simple this stuff all is!"
我只是不想当面嘲笑你,说这个东西是多么简单!"
"Thanks. Well now that I know the score, how about my challenging you a little bit?
"谢谢。既然我已经了解情况,我向你做个小小的挑战怎么样?
I know of a lab experiment that I need help with later on, I'm sure you would like it!" "Sure!"
我知道有个实验室试验,以后我需要有人帮忙,我敢肯定你会喜欢的!" "当然!"
The next day at class, Charlie didn't even show up.
第二天上课的时候查理甚至都没来。
The lab assistant didn't mind, just so long as he came to lab hours.
实验室助理没有在意,只要他在实验室开放的时候来就行了。
When he did show up, last but not least, she was happy. She would really get him to work hard now.
当他真的来了,最后但并非最不重要的是,她很高兴。现在她会让他使劲工作。
She had discovered that it was better to take the wise-ass, know-it-alls under your wing than try to punish them for their insolence. It worked.
她发现与其因为傲慢无礼惩罚他们,不如把这些自以为是、无所不知的家伙保护起来。这办法还真管用。
Charlie was thoroughly challenged; enjoying the extra work she gave him.
查理受到了彻底的挑战,他高髙兴兴地干着她给他额外增加的工作。
The next semester, Charlie was the lab assistant! The lab assistant was promoted to instructor!
到了后面那个学期,查理成了实验室助理!而原来的实验室助理晋升成了主任!