本剧主要讲述住在纽约长岛的西佛一家的日常生活故事,是中国大陆较早引进的国外情景喜剧,在中国从1990年一直播出至1994年。1990年代初期一经播出就引发了收视高潮,片中迈克开朗调皮的形象为广大观众所喜爱。而剧中西佛医生对子女采取启发式教育的方式,也让观众得到启示。
Maggie: Hey, what's that you're reading about?
嘿,你在看什么?
Carol: Well it says here that as the universe expands, all matter is degenerating into a state of total disorganisation.
这上面说随着宇宙的膨胀,所有物质都在进入一种混乱无序的状态。
Maggie: Thank god I thought it was just me.
太好了,我还以为只有我自己是混乱无序的。
Mike: So what are you guys doing tonight? "The House of Sweat", yeah great! Hey look, can I talk to you guys later, yeah, bye.
你们今天晚上打算干什么?“汗水之家”,太好了。那个,我稍后再打给你,好,再见。
Maggie: Mike, what is "The House of Sweat"?
麦克,“汗水之家”是什么?
Carol: It's that new under twenty dance club on Geravo Turnpike.
是在Geravo Turnpike一家二十岁以下年轻人跳舞的俱乐部。
Mike: Yeah, and it sounds like a great idea mom. It's a safe, wholesome place for teens to congregate.
那里听起来很不错,妈妈。很安全,是年轻人聚会的好地方。
Maggie: And the larger the group, the smaller their brains get.
人越多,脑子就越萎缩(智商越低)。
Jason: Oh come on Maggie!
得了吧,麦琪(拜托别这么说)。
Mike: Yeah, come on Maggie! Yes, well, time to go wait for that school bus; you know if I hurry I can still get a seat in the non-smoking section.
就是,得了吧,麦琪。那个,该去等校车了。如果赶紧点儿,也许我能在非吸烟区找个座儿。
Maggie: Good day! Bye sweetheart. Bye Ben, love you!
祝你们愉快。再见,宝贝。再见,本,我爱你哦。