Hey, Joe, what do ya know?
乔,真没想到
David, I often felt a sort of envy of human beings of that thing they called "pirit."
我很羡慕人类能够拥有灵魂
Human beings had created a million explanations of the meaning of life in art, in poetry, in mathematical formulas
他们对人生意义有百万种解释.透过艺术、诗歌、数学公式
Certainly, human beings must be the key to the meaning of existence.
人类一定是生存意义的关键
But human beings no longer existed.So we began a project...
但是人类不再存在.所以我们进行一项计划
that would make it possible to recreate the living body of a person long dead...
利用骨骼或皮肤残留的基因
from the D.N.A. In a fragment of bone or mummified skin.
复制一个人活生生的身体
We also wondered, would it be possible to retrieve a memory trace in resonance with a recreated body?
我们也想知道能不能...从复制人身上找回他的记忆?
And you know what we found? We found the very fabric of space-time itself...
你知道我们发现什么吗?时空轨迹
appeared to store information...about every event which had ever occurred in the past
似乎储存了大量资料.记录着过去的每一件事
But the experiment was a failure.
但是这项实验失败了
for those who were resurrected only lived through a single day of renewed life
复制人只能存活整整一天
When the resurrectees fell asleep on the night of their first new day, they died again.
他们在当天晚上入睡之后就会再度死去
As soon as they became unconscious their very existence faded away into darkness.
他们一旦进入无意识状态.他们的存在就消失在黑暗中
So you see, David.the equations had shown that once an individual space-time pathway had been used,
这就证明了一点.一个人的时空轨迹使用过了
it could not be reused.
就不能再被使用了。
If we bring your mother back now, it will only be for one day,
就算我们把你母亲带回来.她也只能活一天
and then you will never be able to see her again.
然后你就再也见不到她
Maybe... Maybe she will be special ...Maybe she will stay
也许...也许她很特别...也许她不会死
I thought this would be hard for you to understand
我就知道你会难以理解
You were created to be so young
你的年纪太小了
Maybe the one day will be like that one day inside the amphibicopter
也许就像我被冰在直升机一样
Maybe it will last forever.
这一天会成为永恒
David, you are the enduring memory of the human race.
大卫,你是人类最宝贵的记忆
The most lasting proof of their genius.
你证明了他们的天才
We only want for your happiness
我们只想让你快乐
David.you've had so little of that.
大卫.你这一生都没快乐过
If you want for my happiness.then you know what you have to do
如果你要我快乐.就该知道怎么做
Listen.Can you hear that?
听着.你听到了吗?
The new morning has come.
这是崭新的一天
Go to her, David.
快去找她吧,大卫
She's just waking up this instant.
她正要醒来.