Selected Scene 1
场景 1
Myra: Hello.
迈拉:你好!
Roy: Oh, hello. I'm delighted. I was afraid Kitty had directed you to the wrong place.
罗伊:噢,你好!我很高兴,我还担心凯蒂给你指错地方了呢。
Myra: Oh, no. but your note was read out before the whole crowd.
迈拉:噢,没有,不过你的纸条让我在大家面前念了出来。
Roy: Were you embarrassed?
罗伊:你很尴尬吧?
Myra: Yes, and so would you have been.
迈拉:是的,如果是你也会尴尬的。
Roy: I dare say. I'm afraid I've made it difficult for you.
罗伊:可能是吧,恐怕我让你为难了。
Myra: Well, you gave up the colonel, so I expect I made it difficult for you too.
迈拉:噢,你放弃了上校,因此我想我也让你为难了。
Roy: Yes, you did, but I have my reward. It was wonderful of you to have come. Shall we go in?
罗伊:是的,但我得到了奖赏。你来了真好,我们进去吧?
Myra: All right.
迈拉:好的。
They go into the club, choose a table, then sit down.
他们走进俱乐部,选了一张桌子,然后坐下。
Roy: How nice you look.
罗伊:你真美。
Myra: Thank you.
迈拉:谢谢。
Roy: What do dancers eat?
罗伊:舞蹈演员吃什么?
Myra: Oh, dull things mostly. Nutritious yet not fattening.
迈拉:噢,大多是一些没有味道、营养丰富、却不会让人发胖的东西。
Roy: Oh, no, not tonight. (To waiter) What could you suggest that would be particularly rich and indigestible?
罗伊:噢,不,今晚不行。(面对侍者)你能推荐一种特别美味、不易消化的食品吗?
Waiter: The crepes is very nice, sir.
侍者:薄煎饼非常不错,先生。
Roy: And wine. It isn't against the rules for a dancer to drink a little light wine, is it?
罗伊:再来点儿酒,喝点低度酒不违反舞蹈演员的戒律吧?
Myra: well, tonight...
迈拉:噢,今晚……
Roy: Good, Number Forty please.
罗伊:好的,40号。
Waiter: Number Forty.
侍者:40号。
Roy: The ballet was beautiful.
罗伊:刚才的芭蕾舞真美。
Myra: Madame didn't think so.
迈拉:夫人可不这样想。
Roy: Well, experts never know, it takes outsiders to know, and I tell you it was beautiful.
罗伊:噢,行家永远不懂,外行才懂。我告诉你刚才的芭蕾舞很美。
Myra: That certainly proves you're an outsider.
迈拉:那就正好证明你是外行。
Roy: Are you... glad to see me again?
罗伊:你……再次见到我高兴吗?
Myra: Yes.
迈拉:是的。
Roy: I sense a reservation.
罗伊:我感觉你有点儿保留。
Myra: well, I suppose there is one.
迈拉:噢,我想是有点儿。
Roy: What? Why?
罗伊:什么?为什么?
Myra: What's the good of it?
迈拉:这有什么好处?
Roy: You're a strange girl, aren't you? What's the good of anything? What's the good of living?
罗伊:你是一个奇特的女孩,不是吗?一切有什么好处?活着有什么好处?
Myra: That's a question, too.
迈拉:那也是一个问题。
Roy: Oh, now wait a minute now, I'm not going to let you get away with that. The wonderful thing about living is that this sort of thing can happen. In the shadow of a death raid, I can meet you and feel more intensely alive than walking around in peacetime and taking my life for granted.
罗伊:噢,等一下,在这一点上我是不会放过你的。生活的美好就在于会发生这种事:在死亡空袭的阴影下我能遇到你,这比在和平时期到处漠然闲逛更能让我强烈地感受到生命。
Myra: It's a high price to pay for it.
迈拉:为此付出的代价很高。
Roy: I don't think so.
罗伊:我不这样认为。
Myra: I do, Do people have to kill each other to give them a heightened sense of life?
迈拉:我就是这么认为的。难道人们必须自相残杀才能强烈感受到生活吗?
Roy: That's got nothing to do with people killing each other. Either you're excited about life or you're not. You know I've never been able to wait for the future. When I was very young, a child in fact, climbed to the top branch of a high tall, stood like a diver, and announced to my horrified governess, now I shall take a leap into the future, and jumped. I was in the hospital for two months.
罗伊:这和人们相互残杀无关。你要么对生活感到激动,要么不。你要知道,我从来等不及未来。小时候,实际上还是一个小孩子,我爬上一棵大树的最高枝上,像潜水员一样站着,对吓坏了的女管家宣布说,现在我要跳进未来,就跳下付出了,结果我住了两个月医院。
Myra: You should let the future catch up with you more slowly.
迈拉:你应该让未来慢慢赶上你。
Roy: Oh, no, no, never. Temperament. I can't help it. Look here, if we'd met in ordinary times in an ordinary way, we'd just about be telling each other what schools we went to. We're much further along, don't you think?
罗伊:噢,不,不,绝不。我的脾气就是这样,我忍不住。你看,如果我们在平常时期以平常方式相遇。只会跟对方说上过什么学校。我们现在说的要远得多,你不这样认为吗?
Myra: Are we?
迈拉:是吗?
Roy: You know we are. Now, I'm too excited to eat, let's dance.
罗伊:你知道是这样。好了,我太高兴了,吃不下,我们跳舞吧。
Myra: All right.
迈拉:好吧。