场景1
In Mr. Rochester's garden at night.
夜里,在罗切斯特先生的花园里。
Rochester: Still awake?
罗切斯特:还没睡?
Jane: I could not sleep until I knew you were safe. How is Mr. Mason?
简:我等你平安回来才能睡着。梅森先生怎么样?
Rochester: He will be all right. He is with the doctor.
罗切斯特:他会好的,他和医生在一起。
Jane: And the danger you thought were in last night? Is that past?
简:你昨晚说遇到了危险?那过去了吗?
Rochester: I can't vouch for that until Mason is out of England, which will be soon, I hope.
罗切斯特:梅森离开英国,我才能保证,我希望他尽早离开。
Jane: He did not seem a man willfully to injure you.
简:他不像是一个存心伤害你的人。
Rochester: No. But unintentionally he might. Sit down.
罗切斯特:是。可他也许在无意中伤害了我,坐下。
Jane: And what of Grace Poor? Why do you keep her on here?
简:格雷斯·普尔是怎么回事?你为什么把她留在这里?
Rochester: I have no choice.
罗切斯特:我别无选择。
Jane: But sure you do...
简:可你完全可以……
Rochester: Stay with me for a while. Don't press me for answering that. I count on you more than you know. Advise me, Jane. I'll put a case to you of a boy, a young man, spoiled and indulged from youth to commit a capital error. I don't say crime but error. The consequences are dreadful. The only escape is exile and sense of pleasure. And then he meets a woman. A fine woman with qualities he has never met in 20 years. He has a chance of living like a human being again. Only convention stands in the way. Can he ask her to defy it?
罗切斯特:跟我呆一会儿,别逼我回答那个。你不知道我是多么指望你。简,给我出出主意。我把这样一个案子交给你,有一个男孩,一个年轻人,从小就被宠坏了。他犯了一个大错,我是说错误,不是罪恶,这后果非常可怕。唯一的逃避方法就是背井离乡、寻欢作乐。后来,他遇到了一个女人,20年来他从未见过的一个好女人。他有了一次重新做人的机会。只是习俗阻碍了他们。他能要求她蔑视这个吗?
Jane: You talk of yourself, Mr. Rochester.
简:你在说自己,罗切斯特先生。
Rochester: Yes.
罗切斯特:对。
Jane: We are each responsible to God for our actions, and I don't think we could ask God to share the burdens, least of all, Miss Ingram.
简:我们自己的行动都要各自向上帝负责,我想我们不能要求上帝分担那些责任,更不能要求英格拉小姐。
Rochester: Don't you think if I married her, she would regenerate me with a vengeance?
罗切斯特:你不认为如果我娶了她,她会使我彻底获得新生吗?
Jane: Since you ask me, sir, no, I do not.
简:既然你问我,先生,不,我不这样认为。
Rochester: You do not like her. You can be honest.
罗切斯特:你不喜欢她。你可以实话实说。
Jane: I don't think she is for you.
简:我认为她不配你。
Rochester: Presumptions. And who is for me then? Have you seen someone you can recommend?
罗切斯特:自以为是。那谁配我呢?你有什么人可以推荐吗?