The Christmas Fairy and Scrooge
《圣诞欢歌》
Charles Dickens
作者查尔斯·狄更斯
This little play was made from a famous story by Charles Dickens, a great and beloved English story-teller.
这部短小的戏剧是根据查尔斯·狄更斯的一个著名故事改编而成,狄更斯是一位伟大的英语小说作者,深受人们喜爱。
In it we see old Ebenezer Scrooge, rich, cross, and stingy.
在这个故事里面我们看到年迈的埃比尼泽·斯克鲁奇,他富有,但易怒又小气。
To him Christmas was all humbug and foolishness. But one Christmas a kind fairy helped him learn the greatest lesson in the world.
对他来说,圣诞节完全是虚伪和愚蠢的。但有一个圣诞节,一位善良的仙女帮助他学到了世上最伟大的一课。
Act I
第一幕
Time—Christmas Eve
时间—圣诞节前夜
Scene—Scrooge's Sitting-room
场景—斯克鲁奇的客厅
Persons:
人物:
Scrooge
斯克鲁奇
Scrooge's Nephew
斯克鲁奇的侄子
Christmas Fairy
圣诞仙女
[Scrooge, in dressing-gown, slippers, and nightcap, sits before a fire. He is eating from a bowl of gruel, and his face is scowling.
[斯克鲁奇穿着睡衣、拖鞋和睡帽,坐在火炉前。他正吃着一碗稀粥,脸色阴沉。
Scrooge's nephew comes in, with his face smiling and his eyes sparkling. He looks cheerful and kind.]
斯克鲁奇的侄子走进屋,脸上露出笑容,双眼闪闪发光。他看起来开朗、和蔼可亲。]
Nephew. A Merry Christmas, uncle!
侄子:圣诞快乐,叔叔!
Scrooge. [Crossly.] Bah! Humbug!
斯克鲁奇:[生气地说。]呸!都是骗人的!
Nephew. Christmas a humbug, uncle? You don't mean that, I am sure.
侄子:圣诞节是骗人的,叔叔?我相信你不是那个意思。
Scrooge. I do. Merry Christmas, indeed! What right have you to be merry? You're poor enough.
斯克鲁奇:我就是那个意思。圣诞快乐,真的!你有什么权利快乐?你很穷的。
Nephew. [ Gayly.] Come, then! What right have you to be cross? You're rich enough.
侄子:[快乐地说。]那别这样了!你有什么权利生气呢?你那么富有。
Scrooge. Bah! Humbug! You are just like my clerk, Bob Cratchit. He wished me a Merry Christmas today, and he hasn't one sixpence to rub against another.
斯克鲁奇:呸!都是骗人的!你就像我的职员,鲍勃·克拉特基特。他今天祝我圣诞快乐,他连一个六便士也没有。
Nephew. Bob Cratchit has something better than sixpences. He has a heart full of kindness and love. Come, don't be cross, uncle!
侄子:鲍勃·克拉特基特拥有比六便士更好的东西。他有一颗充满仁慈和爱的心。不要生气了,叔叔!
Scrooge. What else can I be when I live in such a foolish world? Merry Christmas! Bah! Humbug!
斯克鲁奇:我生活在这样一个愚蠢的世界里,我还能成什么样?圣诞快乐!呸!都是骗人的!
Nephew. Oh, no! Uncle!
侄子:哦,不是的!叔叔!
Uncle. Nephew! Keep Christmas in your own way and let me keep it in mine.
叔叔:侄子!留好你的圣诞节吧,我用自己的方式保留它。