奥斯卡:你回来啦,你母亲的生日晚宴怎么样?
Priscilla:Same old, same old.
普瑞斯莉亚:老样子,还是老样子。
It isn't a family gathering without a major meltdown or blowup.
不争吵怎么能叫家庭聚会呢。
Oscar:Yikes, what happened?
奥斯卡:啊?发生什么事了?
Priscilla:You know how it is.
普瑞斯莉亚:你应该清楚啊。
It starts out with bickering and somebody taking offense at some slight or dig, or bringing up some old grievance.
最开始是拌嘴,而后有人为了一点鸡毛蒜皮小事冷嘲热讽,或提起一些老掉牙的恩怨。
Oscar:Well, that happens in most families.
奥斯卡:大多数家庭都会这样。
Priscilla:Yeah, but in mine, they often turn into screaming matches.
普瑞斯莉亚:但到我们这里就经常变成比谁嗓门大。
We all raise our voices and somebody always storms out.
我们都会提高嗓门,然后有人会愤愤离开。
Oscar:Even at your mother's birthday dinner?
奥斯卡:你母亲的生日晚宴上也是这样?
Priscilla:The occasion doesn't matter.
普瑞斯莉亚:这跟场合没关系。
My mother tries to be the peacemaker, but it doesn't take much for tempers to flare.
我老母亲想做和事佬,但她很快也开始动气。
Oscar:That never happens in my family.
奥斯卡:我们家就从来不这样。
Priscilla:What?! Your family doesn't fight when it gets together?
普瑞斯莉亚:什么?你的家庭聚会上没有吵架吗?
Oscar:No, we try to sweep things under the rug and put on a brave face.
奥斯卡:没有啊。我们尽量去忘掉那些不愉快的事情,然后装作若无其事。
Priscilla:What happens when you get mad at each other?
普瑞斯莉亚:那你们生彼此的气怎么办?
Oscar:Nothing.
奥斯卡:什么也没有啊。
Priscilla:What do you mean nothing?
普瑞斯莉亚:“什么也没有”是什么意思?
Oscar:A lot of our family meals are eaten in stony silence.
奥斯卡:我们在家庭聚餐时都是在冷冰冰的吃饭沉寂中度过的。
Priscilla:Wow, I think I prefer our knock-down, drag-out fights!
普瑞斯莉亚:哇,我还是更喜欢我们这种乱战或拉锯战!