Do you play cards, Mr. Rockefeller?
你打牌吗 洛克菲勒先生
No.
不打
Shame.
很可惜
You could learn a lot about competition
从中你可以学到很多关于竞争的道理
I know all I need to know.
我知道我所需要知道的一切
So. I'm looking to do a deal with an oil refinery.
我正在谋求一桩炼油厂的交易
And that could be you.
我有可能会选你
I'm willing to do an exclusive deal.
我很愿意独家交易
A dollar sixty-five a barrel.
1.65美元一桶
That's a discount of more than a third.
折扣率大于三分之一
There are several refineries in Cleveland.
克利夫兰有很多炼油厂
Why should I give you such a deal?
我为什么非要和你做这笔生意
Because I'll fill all your trains with my oil.
因为我会用我的油 将你所有的火车装满
And if you don't do the deal,
如果你不和我做生意
I'll fill someone else's trains.
那我就只能将别人的火车填满了
Mr. Rockefeller.
洛克菲勒先生
Do you trust him?
你相信他吗
I don't know.
我不知道
Rockefeller may have gotten the rate he was looking for,
洛克菲勒或许拿到了他想要的价格
but in return, he's agreed to provide Vanderbilt
不过作为回报 他同意为范德比尔特
with over sixty train cars of oil every day.
每天提供超过六十节火车厢的油
The only problem is, Rockefeller has
唯一的问题在于 洛克菲勒
no way to produce that much kerosene.
没有能力生产那么多石油
His capacity is less than half of that.
他的产能还不足交易数量的一半
Rockefeller has over-promised,
洛克菲勒有些夸口了
but he knows the deal with Vanderbilt
不过他知道同范德比尔特的交易
will be the opportunity he's been waiting for.
就是他一直苦苦等待的机会
He just needs to find a way to produce more kerosene.
他只需要想办法生产更多煤油就行了
It's a daunting task, but John D. Rockefeller
这是一个艰巨的任务 但是约翰·D·洛克菲勒
has been beating the odds his entire life.
一生中从未向困难折服过