4 Catherine Earnshaw gets to know the Lintons 1775
4 凯瑟琳·欧肖认识了林顿一家 1775年
Hindley came home for his father's burial.
亨德雷回家参加他父亲的葬礼。
What was more surprising was that he brought a wife with him.
更令人惊奇的是他带回来个妻子。
She was called Frances,a thin,pale woman with a frequent cough.
她叫弗朗西丝,是个瘦瘦的白白的女人,咳嗽个不停。
Now that Hindley was the master of the house,he ordered Joseph and me to spend our evenings in the small back-kitchen,
这会儿亨德雷成了这宅子的主人,他责令约瑟夫和我晚上呆在后面的小厨房里,
as we were only servants,while he,his wife and Catherine sat in the main room.
因为我们是下人,而他、他妻子和凯瑟琳则坐在正屋里。
Catherine and Heathcliff were treated very differently.
凯瑟琳和希斯克利夫的境遇大不相同。
Catherine received presents,and could continue her lessons,
凯瑟琳收到了礼物,可以继续学习,
but Heathcliff was made to work on the farm with the men,and,as a farm worker,was only allowed to eat with us in the backkitchen.
但希斯克利夫被遣去与男人们一起在农庄干活,一个干农活的,只能被允许和我们在后面厨房里一起吃饭。
They grew up like two wild animals.
他们俩像两个小野人似地长大了,
Hindley did not care what they did,as long as they kept out of his way,and they did not care even if he punished them.
亨德雷对他们的所作所为不闻不问,只要他们别碍着他的事;而他们就算被亨德雷惩罚也不吃他那一套。
They often ran away on to the moors in the morning and stayed out all day,just to make Hindley angry.
他们常常一大早就跑到荒原上,一整天都呆在外面,就是为了气气亨德雷。
I was the only one who cared what happened to the two poor creatures,and I was afraid for them.
只有我才关心这两个可怜的小东西,替他们担惊受怕。
One Sunday evening they were missing at bedtime,and Hindley ordered me angrily to lock the front door.
一个星斯天的晚上,该睡觉的时候还没见他们人影,亨德雷怒冲冲地命令我锁上前门。
But I did not want them to stay out in the cold all night,so I kept my window open to look out for them.
但我不想他们大冷天整夜呆在外头,所以我就没关我的窗户,留意着他们。
In a while I saw Heathcliff walking through the gate.
过了一会儿,我看到希斯克利夫走进了大门。
I was shocked to see him alone.
见到只有他一个人,我大吃一惊。