'"What a wicked pair of thieves!"said old Mr Linton.
‘“这两个小恶贼!”老林顿说。
"The boy must be a gipsy,he's as dark as the devil!"Mrs Linton raised her hands in horror at the sight of me.
“这小子一定是个吉卜赛人,看他黑得像鬼一样!”林顿夫人一看到我,双手惊恐地举了起来。
Catherine opened her eyes,and Edgar looked closely at her.
凯瑟琳睁开眼,艾加紧盯着她。
'"Mother,"he whispered,"the young lady is Miss Earn-shaw,of Wuthering Heights.
‘“妈妈,”他低声说,“这小姑娘是呼啸山庄的欧肖小姐。
I've seen her in church occasionally.
我在教堂碰见过她一两次。
And look what our dog has done to her leg!It's bleeding badly!"
看我们的狗把她腿咬的!出了这么多血!”
'"Miss Earnshaw with a gipsy!"cried Mrs Linton.
‘“欧肖小姐和一个吉卜赛人在一起!”林顿夫人叫道。
"Surely not!But I think you must be right,Edgar.
“绝对不可能!但我想你说得没错,艾加。
This girl is wearing black,and Mr Earnshaw died recently.
欧肖小姐穿黑带孝,欧肖先生是最近刚过世的。
It must be her.
一定是她。
I'd better put a bandage on her leg at once."
我得马上把她的腿包扎一下。”
'"Why does her brother Hindley let her run around with such a companion?"wondered Mr Linton.
‘“她哥哥亨德雷怎么能让她和这么个伴儿到处跑?”林顿先生问。
"I remember now,he's the gipsy child Mr Earnshaw brought ho me from Liverpool a few years ago."
“我想起来了,他是几年前欧肖先生从利物浦带回家的那个吉卜赛孩子。”
'"He's a wicked boy,you can see that,"said Mrs Linton.
‘“他是个坏小子,你一眼就能看出来,”林顿夫人说。
"And did you hear the bad language he used just now?I'm shocked that my children heard it."'
“你没听见刚才他骂的粗话?我的孩子们听到了这些话,真让人害怕。”’
'I was pushed out into the garden,but I stayed to watch through the window.
“我被推到院子里,但我呆着没走,从窗子往里看。
They put Catherine on a comfortable sofa,cleaned her wound and fed her with cakes and wine.
他们把凯瑟琳放到一个舒适的沙发上,为她清洗伤口,喂她蛋糕,给她葡萄酒喝。
I only left the house when I was sure she was well taken care of.
看到她的确受到善待我才离开他们家。
She's a breath of fresh air for those stupid Lintons.
她给林顿家那些笨蛋带去了些新鲜空气。
I'm not surprised they like her.
他们对她好,我不奇怪。
Everybody who sees her must love her,mustn't they,Ellen?'
谁见到她都会喜欢她,你说是吗,艾伦?”