Heathcliff was sixteen at this time.
希斯克利夫当时16岁。
He did not have time to study any more, and the long hours of work on the farm made him tired and dull.
他再也没有时间去学习,终日在农庄里长时间劳作使他身心疲惫、无精打采。
There was always an angry expression on his face, and he did not even try to keep himself clean and tidy.
他的脸上总是有一种愤愤然的表情,也不上心保持自己的整洁。
He seemed to want people to dislike him.
他好像是想让人讨厌他。
Catherine and he still spent time together, when he was not working in the fields,
他不下地干活儿时,凯瑟琳还时常和他呆在一起,
but he no longer expressed his fondness for her in words, and he looked angry if she touched or kissed him.
但他不再开口表达对她的深情,凯瑟琳碰他或吻他时,他甚至看上去很恼怒。
One afternoon, when Hindley had gone into town, Heathcliff came into the main room after lunch.
一天下午,亨德雷进城去了,希斯克利夫吃完午饭后进了正屋。
I was helping Catherine to arrange her hair, as she had invited Edgar Linton to visit her while Hindley was absent.
我正在帮凯瑟琳梳理头发,因为她请了艾加·林顿在亨德雷不在家的时候来看她。
'Catherine, are you going anywhere this afternoon?'asked Heathcliff.
“凯瑟琳,你下午要去哪儿吗?”希斯克利夫问道。
'Why have you got that silk dress on? Nobody's visiting you, I hope.
“为什么穿上了丝绸礼服?我希望不是有人要来看你吧。”
'No, I don't think so, 'replied Catherine, looking quickly at me.
“没,没有,我没这么想,”凯瑟琳回答,说着瞥了我一眼。
'But you should be at work by now, Heathcliff.
“但你现在应该上工了,希斯克利夫。”
'That devil Hindley isn't away very often.
“亨德雷那恶棍不常出去。
I'm taking a holiday.
我今天休假。
I won't work any more today. I'm staying with you this afternoon. He'll never know.
我今天不干活儿了,我今天下午和你在一起。他不会知道的。
Catherine thought for a moment.
凯瑟琳寻思了一会儿。
Somehow she had to prepare him for Edgar's visit
她反正要让他对艾加的造访有个准备。
'Isabella and Edgar said they might call here this afternoon. If they come, you'll be scolded for not working.
“伊莎贝拉和艾加说今天下午要来这儿。如果他们来了,你不干活儿会受责骂的。”
'Tell Ellen to say you're busy and can't see them, 'he said.
“告诉艾伦说你没空儿,不能见他们,”他说。
'Those friends of yours take up all your time. You spend most of your evenings with them, not with me.
“你的这帮朋友占用了你全部时间,你多数晚上都和他们在一起,没和我。”