Chapter 6 Heathcliff disappears 1778—1779
第六章 希斯克利夫失踪了 1778—1779年
Hindley came into the kitchen,swearing terribly,just as I was about to hide little Hareton,in a cupboard.
我正想把小哈里顿藏进饭橱里,亨德雷就骂骂咧咧地进到厨房。
I was always afraid that Hindley would hurt his small son,either by accident or on purpose,when he was drunk,
我一直怕亨德雷会在喝醉了酒后有意无意地伤害他的小儿子,
so I tried to keep Hareton out of the way.
所以我想法儿让哈里顿别碍事。
But this time Hindley discovered my plan.
但这次亨德雷看出了我的心思。
'Ah,you keep my son in a cupboard,do you!'he cried angrily,picking up a sharp kitchen knife.
“啊,你把我儿子放在饭橱里,是吗!”他火气冲冲地嚷道,拿起一把锋利的菜刀。
'With the devil's help I'll make you swallow this,Ellen!'And he pushed the knife between my teeth.
“看在魔鬼的份儿上,我要让你把它吞下去,艾伦!”说着把刀塞进我的牙缝。
I was never afraid he would hurt me,and calmly took the knife out of my mouth.
我从没怕过他会伤害我,很镇静地把刀从我口里拿出来。
'But that can't be my son,can it?'he continued aggressively,staring at the frightened little boy.
“但这不可能是我儿子,对吗?”他又挑衅似地接着说道,瞪着被吓坏了的小男孩。
'If it is,he should be punished for not running to greet his father.
“如果这是,他应该受到惩罚,因为他没跑出来问他父亲好。
Perhaps I'll cut his ears off!'And then suddenly his manner changed.
或许我会割掉他的耳朵!”然后他的态度突然变了,
'No,Hareton,darling,don't cry!Kiss me,kiss your father!What?You won't?Then I'll break your neck!'
“不,哈里顿,亲爱的,别哭!亲亲我,亲亲你父亲!怎么?你不?那我就拧断你的脖子!”
Poor Hareton,screaming wildly,was carried upstairs by his father.
可怜的哈里顿狂呼乱叫着被他父亲抱向楼上。
Suddenly Hindley stopped on the stairs to listen,almost forgetting what he was holding.
亨德雷突然在楼梯上停下听着什么,几乎忘了他抱的是什么。
Heathcliff had come into the house and stood at the bottom of the stairs,looking up.
希斯克利夫来到屋里,站在楼梯下面往上看。
Just then the child jumped out of Hindley's arms and fell.
就在这时那孩子跳出亨德雷的手臂,掉落下来。
I only had time to gasp in horror,before I saw that Heathcliff had caught him.
就在我吓得倒吸冷气的时候,只见希斯克利夫一把接住了他。