Troy was going to reply immediately,
托伊准备马上回答,
but he stopped himself.
可又停住口。
‘I am too poor,’he said,
“我太穷了,”他说,
looking quickly at Boldwood to see if the farmer believed him.
一边瞥了伯德伍德一眼,看着这位农场主信不信自己的话。
Boldwood did not notice the look.
可伯德伍德并没有注意到他的表情。
‘I don't want to talk about right or wrong,I just want to discuss business with you.
“我并不想谈论是与非,我只是想和你谈正事。
I was engaged to Miss Everdene,when you came and—’
你来的时候,我和芭丝谢芭已经订婚了——”
‘Not engaged,’said Troy
“没有订婚吧,”托伊说。
‘More or less engaged,’insisted Boldwood.
“差不多订婚了,”伯德伍德坚持道。
‘If you hadn't come,she would certainly have accepted my proposal by now.
“如果不是你来,现在她肯定早已接受我的求婚了。
Well,her position in society is so much higher than yours that you can't hope to marry her.
嗯,她的社会地位远比你高,你就别指望娶她了。
So all I ask is that you don't bother her any more,and marry Fanny. ’
所以,我请你做的事就是,别再烦她,和范妮结婚吧。”
‘Why should I?’asked Troy carelessly.
“我干吗要这样?”托伊漫不经心地问道。
‘I'll pay you. If you leave Weatherbury today,I'll give you fifty pounds
“我付给你钱。如果你今天就离开威瑟伯里,我付你50镑。
Fanny will have fifty pounds for wedding clothes,
范妮也会得到50镑去买嫁衣。
and I'll give her five hundred pounds the day she marries you.
她嫁给你那天,我会再给她500镑的。”
’Boldwood's manner showed that he was a little ashamed of offering money,
伯德伍德的样子像是因付钱而略显羞臊,
but he was prepared to do almost anything to prevent Troy marrying Bathsheba.
但是,他准备不借一切阻止托伊把芭丝谢芭娶到手。
Troy appeared to consider the offer.
托伊似乎在考虑这一提议。
‘It's true I like Fanny best,although she's only a maid.
“我是喜欢范妮,虽然她只是个女仆。
Fifty pounds now,you said?’
现在付50镑,对吗?”