Now, I mean, can you imagine the extravagance of these pages?
你能想象印制的这些页是多么奢侈么?
Annie Flanders never blinked.
Annie Flanders做决定的时候连眼睛都不眨一下。
You can't say anything, Annie.
Annie你不要有什么意见。
I didn't take money, so I can do what I want.
我的这些照片没有收你钱,所以我要做我想做的东西。
It's a wonder she didn't say, "That didn't mean you can bankrupt me."
很意外她居然没有说,"这不意味着你可以为所欲为,弄得我破产"。
What I did from the very first issue...is I kept a list of how much Bill would've gotten paid.
我从最开始发行的时候就列了一张单子,我们应该给Bill的照片付多少钱。
Well, the first check I sent him, he came in the office and ceremoniously ripped it up.
当我寄给他第一张支票的时候,他跑到办公室来当着我的面把支票撕掉了。
The second check, he did the same thing.
第二张支票,他也这样撕掉了。
You see, if you don't take money, they can't tell you what to do, kid.
俗话说拿人手软,我不收他们的钱也就不用被他们要求怎么去做。
That's...That's the key to the whole thing.
哈哈,这是这件事的关键。
Don't touch money.
别碰钱。
It's the worst thing you can do.
除非你实在没辙了。
There's a story about the fact that Bill, when you sold Details to Condé Nast, Bill refused to cash his check. -Yes.
有一些关于Bill的故事,当你把Details杂志Cond Nast的时候,Bill拒绝把他的支票兑现。-是的。
And Si Newhouse was calling you like every couple of months...to say, "Bill, your check is waiting."
Si Newhouse不得不隔几天就给他打一通电话告诉你说"Bill,你的支票可以兑现了。"
Condé Nast bought it? -Yes, yes.
Cond Nast买下了Details杂志?-是的,是的。
Newhouse bought it a year ago.
Newhouse大概一年前买下的。
Well, Newhouse is taking the money.
Newhouse赚走了那些钱。
Yeah, but they don't own me, you see.
但是他们不能支配我。
They don't own you.
你不归他们管。