It was a little past seven before we reached the Westminster wharf and found our launch awaiting us.
七点稍过,我们到达了西敏士特码头,汽船早已等候在那里了。
Holmes eyed it critically. "Is there anything to mark it as a police-boat?"
福尔摩斯仔细地看了看,问道:"这船上有什么标志指明是警察使用的吗?"
"Yes, that green lamp at the side."
"有,那船边上的绿灯。"
"Then take it off." The small change was made, we stepped on board, and the ropes were cast off.
"那么,摘下去。"绿灯摘下后,我们先后上船。船缆解开了。
Jones, Holmes, and I sat in the stern.
琼斯、福尔摩斯和我都坐在船尾,
There was one man at the rudder, one to tend the engines, and two burly police-inspectors forward.
另外一人掌舵,一人管机器,两个精壮的警长坐在我们的前面。
"Where to?" asked Jones.
琼斯问道:"船开到哪里去?"
"To the Tower. Tell them to stop opposite to Jacobson's Yard."
"到伦敦塔,告诉他们,把船停在杰克勃森船坞的对面。"
Our craft was evidently a very fast one. We shot past the long lines of loaded barges as though they were stationary.
我们的船速度确实很快,超越过无数满载的平底船,
Holmes smiled with satisfaction as we overhauled a river steamer and left her behind us.
又超越过一只小汽船,福尔摩斯微笑地表示满意。
"We ought to be able to catch anything on the river," he said.
他道:"照这样的速度,我们可以把河里的什么船都赶上了。"
"Well, hardly that. But there are not many launches to beat us."
琼斯道:"那倒不见得,不过能够赶上我们这样速度的汽船,确是不多见的。"
"We shall have to catch the Aurora, and she has a name for being a clipper.
"我们必须赶上'曙光'号,那是一只有名的快艇。
I will tell you how the land lies, Watson.
华生,现在没有事,我可以把目前发展的情况和你讲讲。
You recollect how annoyed I was at being baulked by so small a thing?"
你记得不记得我说过一个很不算什么的障碍把我难住了,我是决不甘心的吗?"