‘Leaving England!’she cried in surprise and disappointment.
“离开英国!”她喊道,既感到意外,又觉得失望。
‘But everyone thought you would rent poor Mr Boldwood's farm and manage it yourself!’
“可人们都以为你会租下伯德伍德的农场自己经营的呀!”
‘The lawyers have offered it to me,it's true.
“没错,律师们向我提出来过,
But I'll be leaving Weatherbury next spring. I have my reasons. ’
可我到春天就要离开威瑟伯里,我有我的理由。”
‘And what shall I do without you?Oh Gabriel,we're such old friends!
“没有你我怎么办呢?盖伯瑞尔啊,咱们交朋友这么长时间了。
You've helped me so much in the past,and now that I'm more helpless than ever,you're going away!’
过去你给了我那么多的帮助,现在我比任何时候都需要帮助,可你却要走了!”
‘It's unfortunate,’said Gabriel unhappily. ‘It's because of that helplessness that I have to go,’
“真是不幸,”盖伯瑞尔不快地说。“就是因为这种无援无助我才不得不走的。”
and he walked so guickly out of the churchyard that she could not follow him.
说着,他快步走出墓地,她想跟却没能跟得上他。
In the next few months Bathsheba noticed miserably that Gabriel communicated with her as little as possible,and then only by messenger.
接下来的几个月,芭丝谢芭痛苦地注意到,盖伯瑞尔一直尽少与她直接交往,最后只与她书信往来了。
She could not avoid thinking that he,the last friend she had,had lost interest in supporting her,and was about to desert her.
她不由得认为她这个最后的朋友已不想再帮助她,在准备遗弃她。
On the day after Christmas she received the letter from him which she had been expecting.
圣诞节后的那天,她收到了他的信,与她的预料一样。
In it he explained that he would leave the farm in three months’time.
信中,他解释说,他将于三个月后离开农场。