‘You should never have sent me that cruel letter this morning.
“你今天早上怎么能把那封残酷的信送给我!
It shows you don't care a bit about me!’
那说明你一点也不把我当回事!”
‘Now Bathsheba,’he said,laughing,‘you know very well that I had to be very careful,as a single man working for you,a good-looking young woman.
“芭丝谢芭,”他笑着说,“你非常清楚,我必须非常小心行事才行,我是个给你干活的单身男人,你却是个漂亮的年轻女人。
I've been so worried about your good name. That's why I was going to leave. ’
我一直为你的好名声而担忧,所以我才准备走的。”
‘And that's the only reason?Oh,I'm so glad I came!’she cried thankfully,as she got up to leave.
“就这一个原因?啊,我真庆幸我来了你这儿,”她欣慰地喊道,说着起身准备离去。
‘I've thought so much more about you since I imagined you didn't even want to see me again.
“自从我以为你不想再见到我以来,我一直在想你呀!
But Gabriel,I shouldn't have come to visit you!
可是,盖伯瑞尔,不应该是我来看你!
I seem to be courting you!How awful!’
倒像是我在追你!太可怕了!”
‘Well,I've courted you,my beautiful Bathsheba,for a very long time,so one visit from you isn't much to ask. ’
“不对,是我在追你,漂亮的芭丝谢芭,追了你好久,所以请你来看我一次也不算多。”
As he walked back to the farmhouse with her,they talked of his plans for Boldwood's farm.
他陪她走回屋去,一 路上,他们谈论着他经营伯德伍德农场的打算,
They spoke very little of their feelings for each other.
而关于彼此之间的感情却谈得很少。
They were such old friends that expressions of love were probably unnecessary.
他们二人已相知很深,互相表述爱情或许已无必要。
Their shared interests and their long,friendly relationship had given them a complete understanding of each other's character,
他们二人的共同利益、互相 之间的长久友谊已经使他们彼此十分了解对方的性格,
and this finally developed,after their wedding,into a love that nothing could destroy.
而这种了解在他们二人结婚之后,又发展成了一种无坚不摧的爱情。