Bathsheba sat and cried bitterly over this letter.
芭丝谢芭拿着信坐在那里,
She was deeply hurt that Gabriel no longer loved her.
盖伯瑞尔不再爱她,使她感到深受伤害。
She was also worried about having to manage the farm by herself again.
同时她也因自己又要管理农场而感到担忧。
She thought about it all morning,and was so depressed by the afternoon that she put on her cloak and found her way to where Gabriel lived.
整个上午她都在考虑这件事情,下午来到时,她深感沮丧,于是披上斗篷向盖伯瑞尔的住处走去。
She knocked at the door.
她敲了敲门。
‘Who is it?’said Gabriel,opening the door. ‘Oh,It's you,mistress!’
“谁呀?”盖伯瑞尔一边开门,一边问道。“啊呀,是你呀,主人。”
‘I won't be your mistress much longer,will I,Gabriel?’she said sadly.
“我当主人不会当几天了,是不是,盖伯瑞尔?”她悲伤地说。
‘Well,no,I suppose not. ’
“嗯,是的,我想是吧。”
Because these two people,who knew each other well,were meeting in a strange place,
此时,这两个彼此相熟的人在新的地方相会,
they felt like the strangers they were when they first met,and neither spoke for a moment.
因此,他们都觉得像彼此初次见面时那样陌生,两人都一时无话。
‘Gabriel,perhaps I shouldn't have come,but I—I thought I must have offended you,and that's why you're going away.
“盖伯瑞尔,也许我本不该来,可我——我想肯定是我得罪你了,所以你才想要离开。”
‘Offended me!You couldn't do that,Bathsheba!’
“得罪我!你不会得罪我的,芭丝谢芭!”
‘Couldn't I?’she said gladly. ‘But then why are you going?’
“我不会吗?”她高兴地说。“那你为什么要走呢?”
‘I'm not going to America,you know. I decided not to,when you seemed against the idea.
“我不去美国了。我看你似乎不赞成我去,我就决定不去了。