Which is just get people to talk to one another, doesn't work;
也就是让人们彼此交谈的方法并不起作用
In fact very often it worsens the situation very often the conflict actually gets worse
很多时候反而让情况更糟很多时候会使冲突进一步恶化
As a result of just getting together and talking, that the contact is not enough,
因为人们只是聚在一起进行商谈接触还不够
That what you need, in the words of Muzafer sherif
你需要的是引用Muzafer警长的话
And later elaborated on by Elliot Aronson what you need is a superordinate goal
后来由Elliot Aronson详细阐述-你需要的是一个非常明确的目标
A goal that you have carry out together, that you cannot do by yourself
一个得集体实现的目标你自己一人做不来的
Carry out together with a conflicting group. And that's how over time you resolve conflicts,
由一个内部有冲突的小组来实现这样随着时间的推移 就能解决冲突
Not just bring people together. Now as you can imagine, this is very close to home for me.
不仅是让人们聚在一起而已可以想到 这离我们的意愿不远了
Because there were many people on both sides of the Arab/Israeli conflict who wanted to end it,
因为在阿拉伯 以色列冲突中双方都有很多人想结束战争
Many people in this country who wanted to end it. So what did they do?
美国也有很多人想结束它他们做了什么呢?
Let's just get them together. Let's get them in a room, whether it was in Camp David, whether it was in Oslo or in Egypt.
我们把他们关到一个房间里吧无论是在戴维营 奥斯陆或埃及
Let's just get them together to talk, to resolve their conflict and their issue and then we will all live happily ever after.
让他们交谈 解决他们的冲突和他们的问题 然后我们就能过上幸福生活
What happened? The situation worsened.
那样会发生什么事呢?局势会恶化
Now we've known that. Muzafer sherif showed that in 1954
现在我们都知道这个道理了Muzafer警长在1954年就证明了