One is they suggest that you could learn to distinguish between involuntary starts and startles,
一种是可以学会区分不自觉的惊恐
and more full-fledged emotions which involve appraisals to which you give voluntary ascent.
和更加成熟的情感这会涉及到评价,估价你会自发的做出估价
So if you're going to become more like a sage
所以,如果你想变得更像一个圣人
you want to be able to block the full fruition of,
你想要能够屏蔽
of an emotion, block it from, nip it in the bud you might say.
所有的情感,阻止它进入或者是将它消灭在萌芽状态
And Seneca is an important source on this, er, another is Aulus er Gellius
塞内卡在这方面写过着名的论着另一位是利乌斯
but I want to look at one that's underappreciated
但是我想读的是个,未得到充分赏识的着作
I think but that's fascinating, that's the Jewish Hellenist er Philo Judeus of Alexandria,
我个人认为这本书写得很精彩那就是犹太的希腊学者亚历山大
and he paints the same bright stripe between what just happens to emotionally and
他在情感经历和沉溺于自己意志中
what one indulges with one's will, and he says in the course of allegorising,
描绘出同样明亮的色彩他用寓言的方式阐述道理
Abraham as a sage, he says that if he's really a sage
亚伯拉罕是个圣人他说,如果他真是个圣人
then how can he in Genesis grieve and weep over the death of Sarah?
那他怎么会在创世纪中为萨拉的死而悲痛哭泣呢?
And he says, well in point and fact he doesn't for careful textural reading
他一针见血的表明仔细研读文本
will reveal quote"That the virtuous man did not resort to wailing and mourning
会发现,引用"圣人不会哭泣或者是哀痛
but only came there for some such thing."
但是会几乎哭泣或哀痛
He only kind of got to the edge you might say and then he says
你可以说,他们快要痛苦了然后他说
"Whereas things that unexpectedly and against us will strike the cowardly man
"出乎意料,违背我们意志的事"会打垮懦弱的人
and weaken and crush and overthrow him, they merely bow down the man of constancy
削弱他,压倒他,让他彻底崩溃但是这些事会向有恒心的人鞠躬行礼
in such a way as not to bring their work to completion".
这些情感就不会得逞了"