"Do you understand how there could be any writing in a spider's web?"
“明白蜘蛛网上怎么会有字。”
"Oh, no," said Dr. Dorian. "I don't understand it.
“噢,不,”多里安医生说,“我不明白。
But for that matter I don't understand how a spider learned to spin a web in the first place.
可说到这件事,我首先就不明白,蜘蛛是怎么学会结网的。
When the words appeared, everyone said they were a miracle.
那些字的出现,大家说是奇迹。
But nobody pointed out that the web itself is a miracle."
不过没有人指出,蜘蛛网本身就是一个奇迹。”
"What's miraculous about a spider's web?" said Mrs. Arable.
“蜘蛛网有什么奇迹呢?”阿拉布尔太太说,
"I don't see why you say a web is a miracle - it's just a web."
“我不明白你为什么说蜘蛛网是个奇迹——就是一张蜘蛛网罢了。”
"Ever try to spin one?" asked Dr. Dorian.
“你试过结网吗?”多里安医生问道。
Mrs. Arable shifted uneasily in her chair.
阿拉布尔太太在她的椅子上不自在地动着身子。
"No," she replied.
“没有,”她回答说,
"But I can crochet a doily and I can knit a sock."
“不过我会编织小餐巾,也会编织短袜子。”