"Do you think she'll ever start thinking about something besides pigs and sheep and geese and spiders?"
“你认为她除了猪、羊、鹅、蜘蛛,还会想些什么东西吗?”
"How old is Fern?"
“弗恩多大了?”
"She's eight."
“八岁。”
"Well," said Dr. Dorian, "I think she will always love animals.
“那么,”多里安医生说,“我想她会一直爱动物。
But I doubt that she spends her entire life in Homer Zuckerman's barn cellar.
不过我不相信她一辈子待在霍默·朱克曼的谷仓底。
How about boys - does she know any boys?"
男孩呢——她认识什么男孩子吗?”
"She knows Henry Fussy," said Mrs. Arable brightly.
“她认识亨利·富西。”阿拉布尔太太一下子欢快地说。
Dr. Dorian closed his eyes again and went into deep thought.
多里安医生闭上眼睛沉思。
"Henry Fussy," he mumbled.
“亨利·富西,”他喃喃地说,
"Hmm. Remarkable. Well, I don't think you have anything to worry about.
“嗯嗯嗯。好极了。好,我认为你没什么可担心的。
Let Fern associate with her friends in the barn if she wants to.
如果弗恩高兴,你就让她和她谷仓里的那些朋友打交道吧。
I would say, offhand, that spiders and pigs were fully as interesting as Henry Fussy.
我可以不假思索地说,蜘蛛和猪完全与亨利·富西一样有趣。
Yet I predict that the day will come
不过我说在前面,有一天
when even Henry will drop some chance remark that catches Fern's attention.
连亨利也会偶然说出些吸引弗恩注意的话来。
It's amazing how children change from year to year.
真叫人惊奇,孩子们一年一年变样。
How's Avery?" he asked, opening his eyes wide.
艾弗里怎么样?”他睁大眼睛问。