"I never heard one say anything," he replied.
“我从来没听说过动物会说话,”多里安医生说,
"But that proves nothing.
“不过这不证明什么。
It is quite possible that an animal has spoken civilly to me
很可能有只动物曾经私底下对我说过话,
and that I didn't catch the remark because I wasn't paying attention.
可我没听到,只因为我没在意。
Children pay better attention than grownups.
孩子们比大人更在意。
If Fern says that the animals in Zuckerman's barn talk,
如果弗恩说朱克曼家谷仓的动物说话,
I'm quite ready to believe her.
我很乐意相 信她的话。
Perhaps if people talked less, animals would talk more.
也许如果人少说话,动物就会多说些。
People are incessant talkers - I can give you my word on that."
人是喋喋不休在说话的——我可以向你保证。”
"Well, I feel better about Fern," said Mrs. Arable.
“很好,我对弗恩觉得放心些了,”阿拉布尔太太说,
"You don't think I need worry about her?"
“你不觉得我该为她担心吗?”
"Does she look well?" asked the doctor.
“她看上去好不好?”
"Oh, yes."
“哦,很好。”
"Appetite good?"
“胃口也好?”
"Oh, yes, she's always hungry."
“哦,是的,她老觉得肚子饿。”
"Sleep well at night?"
“夜里睡得好吗?”
"Oh, yes."
“噢,很好。”
"Then don't worry," said the doctor.
“那你就不用担心,”医生说。