I often talk about why I think it's more valuable to move first into a new space.
我经常说去尝试新的领域,新的平台是多么的有价值。
The disproportionate value of jumping on a platform early on has enormous benefits. Let me explain.
越早进入这一平台,你所获得的利益和价值也就越多,听我讲为什么。
Email marketing, I built my first business, my wine business on email marketing.
电邮营销,我最早是通过电邮营销创立的红酒产业。
Do you know what my open rate for winelibrary.com was in 1996 for the 400,000 person email list?
你知道在1996年,40万“winelibrary.com”订阅户的电邮点阅率是多少吗?
High 80s, now they're in the 20s.
当时达到了80%,可如今才有20%。
I got a disproportionate value of jumping on email marketing because nobody else was doing it at the time.
我率先采用电邮营销策略,结果大获全胜,这是因为当时没人这么干。
Right, email marketing really collapse into five in the last 3-4 years. Why? Marketers ruined it.
过去三四年,电邮营销一落千丈,原因何在,营销人员将它毁于一旦。
And so when nobody else is ruining it, like marketers ruin everything we talk about that,
所以说如果没有人捣乱,就像我们谈过的营销人员,
then you're getting bigger ROI value as I'm doing this right now,
那么你的投资回报率就会增加,就像我现在做的事情,
I'm being filmed on Meerkat, Sephone show it.
我正在用“Meerkat”应用进行线上直播,萨菲尔给他们看看。
I'm being, like Louis is sitting here, taping me on Meerkat because it's a platform that's like
就像路易斯这样坐在这里,通过“Meerkat”录制视频,这个新平台刚刚上线,
seven days old and I'm live streaming it.
比如说刚刚上线七天,而我现在就已经用它录制视频了。
If Meerkat or something like it wins over the next six months,
如果这类平台能够在未来半年胜出,
thirty six months from now, even though I'll have way more people following me on the Kat,
那么未来的36个月,即使我在“Meerkat”的粉丝再多,
less people will be watching this stream because the people that are watching right now it's a novelty. It's new.
那么它的观看数量也会下降,因为现在看直播看的是新鲜感,新东西。
Its first mover advantage and I'm getting the disproportionate value.
这是先行者的优势,我也会获得更多的利益和价值。
Specifically talking about Meerkat, there's a leaderboard and every time somebody goes there,
那么我再说一下“Meerkat”,这款应有有一个直播榜单,榜单也会实时更新,
I'm in the top six seven eight and they see me and that gives me the position.
我总会排在前6,7,8名,因为我的观看量增加,我的排名自然而然会上升。
There's a lot of people discovering me through it and I get the value.
同样还会有许多人因为这款应用而发现我,从而我获得了许多利益。
I did that on email marketing. I did that on banner advertising, on Google AdWords,
我在电邮营销上是这么做的,在网络广告上是这么做的,在谷歌“AdWords”广告服务上也是这么做的,
on putting out a YouTube show a year before, within the year that YouTube came out that disproportionate value and attention.
还有我一年前在“YouTube”,就是在“YouTube”上线那年就开始推出了视频节目,我得到了利益和关注度。
Twitter on and on and on.
还有“推特”等等等等。
Well, everybody sits around and says, well I don't want to invest my time or money into Snapchat a year or two ago.
我们坐在一起聊天,有人说我不会在一两年前把时间和精力放在“Snapchat”上。
I'm jumping in there and trying to figure it out. Everybody is rippled by like what if this is a waste of our time,
但是我率先进入这一平台,试图搞定它,所有人都好像在畏手畏脚,觉得万一这是浪费时间呢,
what if this is a waste of our money, what if it doesn't become big, what if it ends up like MySpace?
万一这是浪费金钱呢,万一这个平台不火怎么办,万一它最后和“MySpace”一样怎么办?
I say it's risky to not jump in there in case it explodes.
如果万一它火了,而你却没有早早进入,那才是最大的风险。
Defense, defense, defense. Be fast. Be a first mover.
防御,防御,防御,你要加快速度,要成为第一个行动的人。
Take the learnings even if the platform doesn't become a big deal. So listen, I'm gonna keep being first.
即使它没火也要把它当成一次学习,听着朋友们,我将继续当领头羊。
I'm gonna keep tasting those fruits. I just think you should too.
我依然会做出尝试,我希望你们也能如此。