Today there is nothing left in the cupboard, and this candle you see here is the last one I have."
现在橱柜里什么都没了,你看见这支点着的蜡烛吗?它是我的最后一支了。”
"And then?" "And then, my dear, we'll find ourselves in darkness."
“那以后怎么办?”“以后吗?我亲爱的,咱俩就得生活在黑暗当中了。”
"Then, my dear Father," said Pinocchio, "there is no time to lose. We must try to escape."
“那么,我亲爱的爸爸,”皮诺乔说,“咱们没有时间可以浪费了,必须设法逃走。”
"Escape! How?" "We can run out of the Shark's mouth and dive into the sea.
“逃走?怎么逃?”“咱们溜出鲨鱼的嘴,潜到海里去。”
"You speak well, but I cannot swim, my dear Pinocchio."
“你说得不错,可亲爱的皮诺乔,我不会游泳。”
"Why should that matter? You can climb on my shoulders and I, who am a fine swimmer, will carry you safely to the shore."
“那有什么关系?您就骑在我的肩膀上,我是个游泳好手,可以平安地把您带到岸上。”
"Dreams, my boy!" answered Geppetto, shaking his head and smiling sadly.
“你这是幻想,我的孩子!”杰佩托回答说,摇着头微微苦笑。
"Do you think it possible for a Marionette, a yard high, to have the strength to carry me on his shoulders and swim?"
“像你这样一个木偶,只有一码高,你以为你有力气背着我游泳吗?”
"Try it and see! And in any case, if it is written that we must die, we shall at least die together."
“试试看!如果我们注定要死,至少我们要死在一起。”
Not adding another word, Pinocchio took the candle in his hand and going ahead to light the way,
皮诺乔二话不说,拿起蜡烛,走在前面照路,
he said to his father: "Follow me and have no fear."
对他爸爸说:“跟着我走,别怕。”
They walked a long distance through the stomach and the whole body of the Shark.
他们就这样在肚子里走了很大一段路,穿过鲨鱼的整个身体。
When they reached the throat of the monster,
可等他们来到怪物的喉咙口,
they stopped for a while to wait for the right moment in which to make their escape.
他们停下来等一等,想找适当的时机逃出去。