"Yet would to God there was an end of all this!" added Mr. Rochester, as he closed and barred the heavy yard-gates.
“上帝保佑,统统都了结了!”罗切斯特先生一面说,一面把沉重的院门关上,并拴好。
This done, he moved with slow step and abstracted air towards a door in the wall bordering the orchard.
之后,他步履迟缓、心不在焉地踱向同果园接界的墙门。
I, supposing he had done with me, prepared to return to the house.
我想他已经用不着我了,准备回房去。
Again, however, I heard him call "Jane!"
却又听见他叫了声“简!”
He had opened feel portal and stood at it, waiting for me.
他已经开了门,站在门旁等我。
"Come where there is some freshness, for a few moments," he said.
“来,这里空气新鲜,呆一会儿吧,”他说。
That house is a mere dungeon. Don't you feel it so?
这所房子不过是座监狱,你不这样觉得吗?
It seems to me a splendid mansion, sir.
我觉得是座豪华的大厦,先生。
"The glamour of inexperience is over your eyes," he answered, and you see it through a charmed medium.
“天真烂漫所造成的魔力蒙住了你的眼睛,”他回答说。“你是用着了魔的眼光来看它的。
You cannot discern that the gilding is slime and the silk draperies cobwebs.
你看不出镀的金是粘土;丝绸帐幔是蛛网。
That the marble is sordid slate, and the polished woods mere refuse chips and scaly bark.
大理石是污秽的石板;上光的木器不过是废木屑和烂树皮。
Now here (he pointed to the leafy enclosure we had entered) all is real, sweet, and pure.
而这里(他指着我们踏进的树叶繁茂的院落)一切都那么纯真香甜。
He strayed down a walk edged with box, with apple trees, pear trees, and cherry trees on one side,
他沿着一条小径信步走去,小径一边种着黄杨木、苹果树、梨树和樱桃树;
and a border on the other full of all sorts of old-fashioned flowers, stocks, sweet-williams, primroses, pansies,
另一边是花坛,长满了各类老式花:有紫罗兰、美洲石竹、报春花、三色瑾,
mingled with southernwood, sweet-briar, and various fragrant herbs.
混杂着老人蒿,多花蔷薇和各色香草。
They were fresh now as a succession of April showers and gleams, followed by a lovely spring morning, could make them.
四月里持续不断晴雨交替的天气,以及紧随的春光明媚的早晨,使这些花草鲜艳无比。